Pie Crusts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One continues to hear about the beans, but I really have to wonder why this idea hasn't died a natural death: I tried it once and only once, having to throw both the crust and the beans out thereafter.
Ayrton, did you line your pie crust first with either parchment or heavy duty aluminum foil? When the dried beans go on top of that, there's no flavor transfer. I usually use rice, tho.... and then I pour the used rice into a jar and reuse the next time I need pie weights.

Ayrton said:
Ah, Andy, I can only hope you're being facetious. I assure you, they were dried beans as we all know them. Are you picturing me smearing the crust with refritos?!

Yeah, Just kidding. But I may try the refried beans next time for a south of the border flair to my apple pie.:wacko:

When I 'bake blind' - I have ceramic 'beans' that I use. I also sprinkle a tiny amount of tapioca or sago in the bottom of the pie, which thickens the fruit juices and keeps the pastry a little more crispy!

thumpershere2 said:
I use this pie crust recipe and never have a soggy bottom...
Before I get all goofy here, your crust recipe looks great.

I used to have a soggy bottom when I was a wee lad sledding on nothing more than the seat of my blue jeans after destroying my tobogan on the steep slopes of the nearby snow-covered gravel pits. Then, sometime between teh start of my sledding adventures, and when I walked back into the house, half frozen, the water would freeze solid. Man, was that cold!:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks goodweed. I forgot to add that I do butter the top crust and shake a little sugar on it before I bake the pie.
Are you one of the soggy bottom boys?

Thanks all! I used McIntosh apples, I did bake the pie closer to the bottom of the oven> Yes I know the bottom crust won't be flaky and crisp like the top crust, but it just seems soggy and undercooked. I followed a receipe I found online, and I let it cook for the amount of time that was stated. Maybe a few minutes longer. I did'nt want the top to burn.

MacIntosh apples are famous for being watery! so perhaps if you tried Cortlands, or Galas or even Golden Delicious apples, you'd have less "sog."

ChefJune said:
MacIntosh apples are famous for being watery! so perhaps if you tried Cortlands, or Galas or even Golden Delicious apples, you'd have less "sog."

Right on! Granny Smith also works.

thumpershere2 said:
I ... use a fork to mix. Will look crumbly.

are you using the fork to cut it with (edgewise) or mashing it? about how big whould you say is the "average" size crumb? how does this crust come out flakinesswise?
icon12.gif

ChefJune said:
Ayrton, did you line your pie crust first with either parchment or heavy duty aluminum foil? When the dried beans go on top of that, there's no flavor transfer.
You know ChefJune, I can't swear that I did use anything between the beans and the crust -- I'd have followed instructions in Joy no doubt ... let's see what they say:
... prick the dough generously with a fork after you have placed it in the pie pan, and weight it with dry beans ...
No mention of parchment or foil there! It's clearly a good idea, and even an obvious one, so after I knock myself on the head a couple of times for being dense, I promise to try again (or, as you say, with rice). Thanks!

I chill my pie crust for a short time before filling. I also brush the bottom crust with beaten egg yolk. Works for me...

Back
Top Bottom