"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 10-27-2006, 06:08 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Pie Crusts

I'am attempting to make an apple pie for the first time. I read somewhere that you put something on the crust before adding the apples so that the crust doesn't become soggy. Has anyone heard of this or know what it is I should use? I'd appreciate the help. Thanks!

Old 10-27-2006, 06:20 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Brush the bottom crust with some egg white and bake it in a hot oven for a few minutes to set it.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:31 PM   #3
Master Chef

A good thick layer of clay will seal the crust from moisture as well. Ha! You thought I was serious.

Andy hit it on the head. After you have mastered the basic crust, try this little trick; Take the bottom pie crust and divide it in half. Roll each half so that they will each completely cover the pie pan. Place the first crust in the pan. Place a carmel wrap for apples onto the crust. Brush the crust (not the caramel) with beaten egg-white and place the second crust into the pan. Brush again with egg and add the filling. Make a latticework crust on top and dot with dollops of caramel. Back until the crust is done according to a regular apple pie recipe.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:46 AM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
My great grandmother always used a layer of plain, fresh breadcrumbs in the bottom (atop the crust) when making fruit pies. I learned that method from my Mom and aunts, and the breadcrumbs soak up all the yummy juices and you get a great crust!
Old 10-28-2006, 03:42 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Personally never had a problem with the crust as is. No, the bottom part of the crust isn't crisp, but as long as it's cooked rather than raw, why is that a problem? That's just the way bottom crusts are! And certainly so with an apple pie, a mixture which is fairly dry in any event. Whatever juices come out of apples may moisten the bottom crust, but they don't make it water-logged or soggy -- again, just not crisp. The differences in crust between the various bites is one of the nice variations of a pie IMHO. Anyhow, a fairly short (as in, high in fat content) crust will resist becoming soggy all on its own without any extra steps. If you put the crust in the oven prior to filling it, even for a few minutes, you risk the sides sagging (unless you've very carefully managed to anchor them to the upper rim).
Old 10-28-2006, 05:30 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Andy and chefjune
I didnt know there are things that could be done, to prevent the crust getting soggy. I am going to try them, next week, when i bake a pie.

Mel
Old 10-28-2006, 11:49 AM   #7
Everymom

I just sprinkle flour in the bottom of my pie shells. Works well to thicken the juices.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:07 AM   #8
Sous Chef

These are such good ideas.
I never even considered doing them, before.
The advantages of being a member of a cookery forum....

Mel
Old 10-29-2006, 07:18 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Brush the bottom crust with some egg white and bake it in a hot oven for a few minutes to set it.
andy m. - what with you being a mod and having so many posts, etc. i'm a little leary of saying this, but do you actually do this? how does it come out?
popping the bottom crust into a hot oven for a few minutes will melt all the shortening, after which you're going to pull it out of the oven and let it cool again. and then attach the top crust to a partially baked bottom? how many is a few minutes. the crust by itself would be completely cooked in between 10 - 15 depending on how hot of an oven you're talking about. if you've done this and the results are good, then someday i may give it a shot with say a pumpkin pie.

actually, you can get a bottom crust that is actually crispy*(see below, where i 'fess up) by paying attention to a few details. unlike my cake pans, i keep my pie pans well seasoned: read quite dark. it conducts the heat faster. grease the pie pan before putting in the bottom crust. go ahead and slice your apples first if you want, but have your oven preheated by this point to about 400 or 425 degrees f. and have both the top and bottom crusts ready before you add the sugar, spices, flour or tapioca etc. if you do this first, the apples and sugar will start producing juices the whole time you're preparing your crust. when all is ready, add the sugar, spices, etc, to the apples, give a quick toss to just coat all the apples, get them into the pie, place top crust on, seal, flute, brush with an egg wash, cut a vent and pop it into the oven with alacrity. bake at high heat for about 10 minutes and then reduce the temp. to 350 or whatever you're recipe calls for and bake for another 40 minutes, either more or less depending on how many apples you've got packed in there and whether you like them crispy or well cooked and soft.

as for the crust, i go with the old-school 3-2-1 ratio, although i eyeball the water. 2 parts butter to 3 parts flour is rather high on the shortening side compared to many pie crust recipes i've seen posted, but for a flakey top and crispy bottom, lesser ratios are a compromise. the down-side to this ratio is oven clean up, because a certain amount of the butter will drip.

and now for the crispy* confession, for which i may get roasted (hee hee). well, of course there's no way to achieve a bottom crust every bit as flakey and crispy as the top. to qualify what i mean by crispy, on an apple pie, about 1/2 to 2/3 of the bottom crust can come out crispy; on a pumpkin or berry pie about only about 1/3 to 1/2.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:28 AM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Philso, I've never seen a two-crusted pumpkin pie!

Tags
None