"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Old 11-27-2015, 05:45 AM   #31
Assistant Cook
I'm sorry. I was so excited about that pie crust that I didn't put in when to put in the coconut oil. You cut it in after you mix all the dry ingredients together.

I could have rolled mine a little thinner but everybody said it was good so this will be my new go too pie crust.

backtotheland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #32
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by backtotheland1 View Post
I'm sorry. I was so excited about that pie crust that I didn't put in when to put in the coconut oil. You cut it in after you mix all the dry ingredients together.

I could have rolled mine a little thinner but everybody said it was good so this will be my new go too pie crust.
No apology needed. I thought that was when you would add it but we get new cooks everyday.
I am sure a mod will now fix your post.
Hey it could be worse, you could have forgotten both flour and sugar when posting a banana bread recipe. I did that last week.

cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Post has been fixed.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Post has been fixed.
Thanks, Dawg! ☺
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:36 AM   #35
Senior Cook
My wife's mother's mother's owned a hotel/resturant in the fifties. "Riverside Lodge'.
At the time the pastry cook was an old lady who had worked at the lodge for many years.
The old lady gave her pie crust recipe to my wife's grandmother. Grandmother handed it down to her daughter and her daughter gave the recipe to my wife.
This recipe makes the very best pie crusts I and everyone who tries it thinks is the best they have ever eaten.
Here's the recipe. Obviously it must be carefully followed: 5Cups All purpose Flour
1 lb of unsalted butter
1 whole egg
1 T plain white vinegar
Enough really cold water to measure up to 1 cup after the whole egg (don't beat the egg) and the vinegar have been added to the measuring cup.
A pinch of Kosher salt and a pinch of sugar
Keep liquid cool while you 'cut in' the cold butter into the flour until the butter is about the size of small peas.
Make a well with the flour/salt/sugar mixed together
Pour ALL the liquid into the well at once
Mix well with a fork
Make a ball
Wrap tightly in plastic wrap
Refrigerate for an hour at least
Then roll out to form the pie crusts
This recipe makes about 3 double crusts depending on how thin you roll them out.
puffin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:02 AM   #36
Head Chef
Hi Puffin
Thanks for posting the pie Crust recipe.

Practice Random Acts of Kindness ( RAK ) Makes you feel great too
Josie1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:28 AM   #37
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
Hi Puffin
Thanks for posting the pie Crust recipe.

You're most welcome.
My wife made an 'issai' kiwi and blueberry pie yesterday using the recipe.
Just delicious!
puffin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:58 AM   #38
The recipe submitted by puffin3 sounds very similar to a recipe given to me by an elderly neighbor more than 30 years ago. Great recipe for pie crust!! The vinegar really breaks the egg down.
When I'm good, I'm very, very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better.
MarcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:01 PM   #39
Senior Cook
OK you are all doing it wrong. First of all, a tablespoon of vodka? Not nearly enough. I start out with a large glass of vodka, preferably ice cold.

So drink the vodka (helps if you know a couple Russian drinking songs) and while you are doing so gather this stuff.

2 cups flour (8.5 oz) (I'm not that picky, I normally have both whole wheat and bread flour around, I tend to use half and half)
5/8 cup salted butter, should be refrigerator soft
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
1 egg yolk for glaze

So I start off by creaming the flour, butter and salt together. Which for me means dumping them in a bowl, and taking two butter knives and slashing them side to side like a serial killer (This is also an excellent time for Russian drinking songs). When it looks kind of pearly, beat the eggs and add with the milk. Form into a dough ball. Chill that in the fridge for a half hour, or how long it takes to drink another glass of vodka.

At this point it should roll out nicely into a round with a little coaxing on a floured baking mat. If it for some reason it doesn't, pour a third glass of vodka, make a cobbler, and pretend that was what you were up to in the first place.

sourdough isn't a recipe, it is a process.
erehweslefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #40
Sous Chef
I have a simple dough recipe I use (requires neither vodka nor Russian drinking songs - don't know if that's good or bad). I got this from Allrecipes.com:

4 oz cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 cup flour

Blend cream cheese and butter or margarine. Stir in flour just until blended. Chill about 1 hour. This can be made ahead and chilled for up to 24 hours.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

Shape dough into 24 one-inch balls and press into ungreased 1 1/2 inch muffin cups (mini-muffin size) to make a shallow shell. Fill with your favorite filling and bake for 20 minutes, or until the crust is light brown.

This is for tart shells. You can double the recipe for a one crust pie.

I don't usually make pie crusts. I can never get them to roll out without the dough sticking to the rolling pin. I don't care how much flour I put on the crust or the pin, when I lift the pin, half the dough comes up with it. Not to mention that when I roll, pieces of dough come up sticking to the rolling pin and leave holes to be patched in the dough. My pie crusts end up looking like a street with a million fixed and unfixed potholes.

So I've pretty much given up on that. I buy pie crusts from the store now unless I make the dough above for tarts. Those I just press into a muffin pan by hand.

rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

crust, pie, recipe

Pie Crusts [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=3]I really don't like making pie crusts. Probably because it's a struggle to get them to come out right. But the are really better than the pre-made stuff so it's worth the effort. I use an Alton Brown recipe. Here are the ingredients for one crust. [B]One Crust:[/B] 3 Oz Butter, chilled 1 Oz Shortening, chilled 6 Oz AP Flour, plus extra for dusting tsp Table Salt C Ice Water [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=3] The preparation is fairly standard in a food processor.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=3] For as long as I can remember, recipes have a caution to use the smallest amount of water that results in the dough sticking together when compressed. I do this and wrap and chill a disk of dough (or two). When I roll it out, the edges split to weird shapes like the profile of a mountain range. I have to do a lot of patching/mending to get a decent edge. I know if I buy prepared pie crusts, this doesn't happen. What do I do? Add more water? change the amounts or ingredients? Also, When making two crusts, do you separate the dough into two equal parts or allocate more than half to the top crust for something like an apple pie that can be fairly tall? I made an apple pie for Thanksgiving and it was really good but I did have the issue rolling out the dough. I used a deep dish dark glass pie plate and baked it at the bottom of the oven so the bottom crust would cook.[/SIZE][/FONT] [/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews