"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 12-18-2006, 03:11 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
... but I don't think I've noticed that store bought or frozen pies have the gap ...
This reminds me of a gaffe I made when I was a little girl, trying to compliment someone on their cookies, saying "wow, they're almost as good as store-bought!" I remember all the adults laughing and me wanting to dig a hole to China. After all, it had been meant nicely!

The point is: you don't really WANT your pie to look "store-bought" do you? Yes, the commercial makers might get their pies so that they have no gap, but personally I'm not sure I want to know how they do that. I still say that a delicious home-made pie is what you want to aim for, and to learn to present that gap with pride!

Old 12-18-2006, 04:58 AM   #12
Senior Cook

apple pies manufactured at your local supermarket bakery or from the frozen food section are a desecration of american ideals. you might as well burn the american flag and spit on your mom while doing so. at least these last two would have some kind of meaning which i could pardon, but commercial pies??? satan at his most nefarious!!!

excuse me. i've got to stop typing, as i'm starting to foam at the mouth.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:01 PM   #13
Head Chef

I want my pies to look as beautiful as possible. DH's granny makes the most BEAUTIFUL pies. Hers in my opinion are perfect in taste and look. I keed trying to get there. I'll be making another pie in a couple days will post the results.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:52 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
Vera, how would I cook them the first time? In a casserole dish and bake? I wouldn't mind giving that a try. I've really got the apple pie down and now am just working on improving the looks. Thanks!
You could do that..or simply sauté them in a frying pan.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:25 AM   #15
Sous Chef

On the pre-cooking subject: usually I'd agree 100% with Philso, adding that in working on the appearance, you might actually lose some of the quality of the pie -- the quality that makes you feel you "have the apple pie down".

However, the pies I've made here in Greece have almost always been made with Granny Smith apples (because they're about the only ones I recognize, can you believe how pathetic that is?!) which I've NOT found to be the ideal pie apple in that it holds its shape and crispness too much. That, however, would be the PERFECT apple for you to slightly pre-cook, then, wouldn't it?

Give it a try and let us know, how's that? But go easy on the pre-cooking or you will end up with a very nice Granny Smith applesauce pie.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:50 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
On the pre-cooking subject: usually I'd agree 100% with Philso, adding that in working on the appearance, you might actually lose some of the quality of the pie -- the quality that makes you feel you "have the apple pie down".

However, the pies I've made here in Greece have almost always been made with Granny Smith apples (because they're about the only ones I recognize, can you believe how pathetic that is?!) which I've NOT found to be the ideal pie apple in that it holds its shape and crispness too much. That, however, would be the PERFECT apple for you to slightly pre-cook, then, wouldn't it?

Give it a try and let us know, how's that? But go easy on the pre-cooking or you will end up with a very nice Granny Smith applesauce pie.

and there you have it in a nutshell! few people indeed share the same image of the ideal pie, or anything else for that matter. the very qualities that make grannies the less-than-ideal apple for Ayrton, are the very reasons i can only wish i could get my hands on some granny smiths here.

Ayrton, you should definitely go ahead and experiment with whatever apple varieties you have available there in greece. you're almost bound to find at least 1 or 2 you like. I've come across about 3 varieties here in japan that i like. unfortunately, they're in season and available for only some few short weeks each. we're now at the time of year in which fuji's are nearly the only variety around, unless you want to spend between $2.50 - $5.00 for 1 (yes, that's one) apple that's been in storage for between 2 or 3 months to 10 or 11 months). there are zero imported apples here. talk about a protected market. the only time apples have been imported within living memory was several years back when several huge typhoons in succession ripped through apple country. they imported red delicious apples (no other kinds) from the west coast, and complained that they weren't sweet enough.

count your blessings.

Tags
None