Pie Experts Please Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Hi, My apple pies always sink a bit in the middle after they've been baked. Does anyone know why and how I can prevent it? I don't just toss the apples in like some, I try to layer it (think tart but not as exact or pretty). I was thinking maybe I need to stack a bunch of extra in the middle to accomodate this. But I'm afraid it won't cook evenly if I put more apples in the middle and less on the outer part.

And other times, when the crust doesn't sink, the apples get cooked and shrink up and there is a big air gap from the top of the apples to the crust. Got any suggestions for this one either???

Thank you!!:chef:

Expert maybe not, but I make a nice pie. However, I have to admit that your problem just seems to be the nature of the beast if we're talking apple pie. I admit that compared to other types of pies it might be weird and undesirable, but after awhile if all the great apple pies you've had include that odd air gap between apples and upper crust, you (well, me) just accept it as part of the unique aspects of a great apple pie, and love it all the more for its oddities. However ... that's me and you want it nice and neat. Hmmm, as you already figured out, it has to do with the apples getting softer and therefore fitting together better and lower. Frankly, I can't think of anything else you could do other than very neatly and tightly layering them. That or maybe change apples you use -- to one that's still suitable for baking but happens to hold onto its shape a bit better once cooked ... My vote is still to accept it for what it is -- an apple pie with a 'sunken' middle shouts 'homemade' to me which usually translates to real and delicious. That's a really GOOD thing! Besides, 9 times out of 10 they look like h**l once cut and served so concentrate on flavor rather than appearance. (Then again, if you have to have a very presentable pie, try rimming the edge with a design of overlapping leaves -- easy to cut and place and really pretty once baked. That will detract from the sunken center you don't like!)

yup, the apples in an apple pie always shrink. no two ways about it.

i pile up a huge mountain, to about 3 times the height of the pie pan, until i can't fit any more on top. i also don't cut my apples in wedges. after peeling, i cut the apples so that, looking down at the top of the apple, i cut the shape you would draw for tic-tac-toe, leaving the core and cutting fairly thick slices. besides being a faster way to get through a case of apples, you can really pack them in the pie, especially if you layer them. i prefer the apples to be somewhat al dente, not soft, so even with this amount of apples, i cook my pies no longer than normal, perhaps rather less. when they're done, there's a gap between the crust and apples, but not much. the apples are still about double the height of the pan or so.

boy do i hate mushy, under-filled apple pie. especially if the crust is no good.
icon12.gif

Hi, thanks for the post. I use Granny Smith apples which are my favorite for apple pie. I know I can use others, so maybe I'll try a mix. The taste of my pies (for me) are perfect. I like my crust and the flavor/texture of the apples.

I just wonder why home made pies have the gap and sink, but I don't think I've noticed that store bought or frozen pies have the gap. (Though I have to admit I don't buy many pies).

"nature of a the beast"....yeah buddy!
the uglier they are the better......:)

not normally done on apple pies...but you might try a lattice top.

You could try par cooking the apples a bit before putting them into the pie...They won't shrink as much the second time you bake them.

Vera, how would I cook them the first time? In a casserole dish and bake? I wouldn't mind giving that a try. I've really got the apple pie down and now am just working on improving the looks. Thanks!

htc, to eliminate the gap between filling and pastry pat the top layer of pastry down on top of the filling. It will sort of stick to the apples and the gap is a thing of the past.

For the sinking issue, just do as philso said and pile the filling as high as you can. It will sink, but who cares?

i'm generally right in sync with vera but, this time i'm gonna say,

"don't parboil them!" :ohmy:

unless, that is, getting rid of the apple/crust gap (hereafter known as a/cg) is your over-riding concern. if your idea of a great apple filling is like the stuff that comes out of a can, fine & well. but parboiling them leaches away flavor and you can forget about retaining any kind of crispiness. if you do, they will fit in better so there will be less a/cg, but i think you'll be sacrificing too much taste and mouth feel.

where most apple pies need improving is, in my opinion:

- apples tend to be overcooked
- crusts are not flaky at all
- crusts are not tasty; i sometimes wonder if there are people who prefer buttering their toast with crisco. enough said.
- crusts are cut off at the edge of the pan and mashed together with a fork. try this: leave at least an inch or so of both top and bottom crust beyond the edge of the pie pan. fold this under, so that top top crust is tucked in, touching the top of the pan. flute by hand. if your crust is good, this is almost the best part of the pie.
- few people bother to gild their crusts.

good luck with your pies. send me one when you think you've got it close to what you want, and i'll send you a professional critique.
icon12.gif

by the way, great looking halloween cake there. post a pic next time you make a pie and i'll take a look.

htc said:
... but I don't think I've noticed that store bought or frozen pies have the gap ...

This reminds me of a gaffe I made when I was a little girl, trying to compliment someone on their cookies, saying "wow, they're almost as good as store-bought!" I remember all the adults laughing and me wanting to dig a hole to China. After all, it had been meant nicely!

The point is: you don't really WANT your pie to look "store-bought" do you? Yes, the commercial makers might get their pies so that they have no gap, but personally I'm not sure I want to know how they do that. I still say that a delicious home-made pie is what you want to aim for, and to learn to present that gap with pride!

apple pies manufactured at your local supermarket bakery or from the frozen food section :sick: are a desecration of american ideals. you might as well burn the american flag and spit on your mom while doing so. at least these last two would have some kind of meaning which i could pardon, but commercial pies??? :devilish: satan at his most nefarious!!!:angry: :censored: :furious:

excuse me. i've got to stop typing, as i'm starting to foam at the mouth.:wacko:

I want my pies to look as beautiful as possible. DH's granny makes the most BEAUTIFUL pies. Hers in my opinion are perfect in taste and look. I keed trying to get there. I'll be making another pie in a couple days will post the results.

htc said:
Vera, how would I cook them the first time? In a casserole dish and bake? I wouldn't mind giving that a try. I've really got the apple pie down and now am just working on improving the looks. Thanks!

You could do that..or simply sauté them in a frying pan.

On the pre-cooking subject: usually I'd agree 100% with Philso, adding that in working on the appearance, you might actually lose some of the quality of the pie -- the quality that makes you feel you "have the apple pie down".

However, the pies I've made here in Greece have almost always been made with Granny Smith apples (because they're about the only ones I recognize, can you believe how pathetic that is?!) which I've NOT found to be the ideal pie apple in that it holds its shape and crispness too much. That, however, would be the PERFECT apple for you to slightly pre-cook, then, wouldn't it?

Give it a try and let us know, how's that? But go easy on the pre-cooking or you will end up with a very nice Granny Smith applesauce pie.

Ayrton said:
On the pre-cooking subject: usually I'd agree 100% with Philso, adding that in working on the appearance, you might actually lose some of the quality of the pie -- the quality that makes you feel you "have the apple pie down".

However, the pies I've made here in Greece have almost always been made with Granny Smith apples (because they're about the only ones I recognize, can you believe how pathetic that is?!) which I've NOT found to be the ideal pie apple in that it holds its shape and crispness too much. That, however, would be the PERFECT apple for you to slightly pre-cook, then, wouldn't it?

Give it a try and let us know, how's that? But go easy on the pre-cooking or you will end up with a very nice Granny Smith applesauce pie.

and there you have it in a nutshell! few people indeed share the same image of the ideal pie, or anything else for that matter. the very qualities that make grannies the less-than-ideal apple for Ayrton, are the very reasons i can only wish i could get my hands on some granny smiths here.

Ayrton, you should definitely go ahead and experiment with whatever apple varieties you have available there in greece. you're almost bound to find at least 1 or 2 you like. I've come across about 3 varieties here in japan that i like. unfortunately, they're in season and available for only some few short weeks each. we're now at the time of year in which fuji's are nearly the only variety around, unless you want to spend between $2.50 - $5.00 for 1 (yes, that's one) apple that's been in storage for between 2 or 3 months to 10 or 11 months). there are zero imported apples here. talk about a protected market. the only time apples have been imported within living memory was several years back when several huge typhoons in succession ripped through apple country. they imported red delicious apples (no other kinds) from the west coast, and complained that they weren't sweet enough.

count your blessings.
icon12.gif

Back
Top Bottom