Pie ?? for you food scientists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
My SIL and I were talking and trying to figure out what the purpose of apple cider vinegar in a pie crust recipe is for. I looked through my reference books and didn't find anything that directly talks about this. It didn't even mention cider vinegar in crusts. I did see one blurb that said about cider vinegar itself: "Apples are rich in malic acid, so cider vinegars undergo a malolactic fermentation that may augment aroma while softening acidity."

So could I'm thinking that that would in turn do the same for pie crust, in apple pie? Or is there a different reason??

I think I remember Shirley Corriher saying that a little vinegar retards the gluten in the flour from developing, thus keeping the crust tender and flaky. I've tried it, and it does work!

Marm hits the nail on the head. It keeps the pie crust very flaky and light. I always add about 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar to my ice water before drizzling it into the pie crust. It does help!

Wow, never heard of this. Of course I'm not too hot in the pie-crust-making department. Next time I decide to torture myself, I will try this and perhaps succeed for a change.

Back
Top Bottom