"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 03-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
Head Chef

Pie from the Sea

Of ten my friends & I would get together and have a "Theme" dinner. We would each make something: eg. one would make the appetizer, next the entre (usually reserved for the hostess), a salad and a dessert. We've had Oriental, with Thai highlighted. Another was a Seafood (or from water) theme with salmon, shrimp etc. We had a bit of problem with choosing the dessert but decided Key Lime Pie would be accepted as it is known for in FL and surrounded by the sea. Ok, ok a bit lame but we all loved Key Lime Pie.

Anyhow I came across this picture and want to make it! The head certainly looks raised. But should it be baked first and then very very gently put on the pie? What would you put under it?

I don't even remember where I got the picture from other than when browsing the internet.

Attached Images

Old 03-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Head Chef

Am actually thinking that the main tentacles could be put on and baked with the pie.

The actual head and smaller points (are they tentacles?) could be baked separate and then placed on. Less chance of breakage?

But still need some suggestions on how or what to use to 'round' up the head and eyes.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Found the recipe

http://toponautic.blogspot.com/2013/...o-you-say.html
Old 03-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
Master Chef

The pie in your picture is a blueberry pie.

I think if you used fresh blueberries you could mound them up under the head portion of the crust. I think it would be similar to when you mound fresh apples in an apple pie and then after the pie bakes the fruit shrinks and makes a hollow dome.

If you want to bake the octopus separately then I would make the head/dome on a ball of aluminum foil sprayed with some cooking spray.

I think it would be easiest, for me, to form, egg wash and bake the octopus separately then transfer it to the top of the finished pie. I think it would make a great presentation for a seafood newburg.

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Executive Chef

In the picture it looks like they used either blueberries or cherries. The fruit in the picture doesn't look like it has been cooked though, it's still too firm. Maybe use balls of aluminum foil the get the head the shape you want when you bake it, then, as you said, carefully place it on top of the pie afterward. I agree that the main tentacles could be baked right on the pie.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Head Chef

WOW! Thanks guys, I really appreciate!

I'll try to keep a record of how it goes. Am probably just going to use canned and frozen to experiment with. Hate making from scratch and have it go wrong after all the work and fresh ingredients.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
Head Chef

OK so here we go. Better have time and patience.

Need to have a crimper or ravioli cutter. Head started to collapse shortly after I placed it on the pie. Sorry some of the pics are fuzzy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4525.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	20920   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4527.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	20921  

Name:	DSCN4533.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	20922   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4536.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	20923  

Name:	DSCN4537.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	20924  
Old 03-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #8
Head Chef

From left over dough decided to do a 2nd head.

On the foil I used toothpicks to attach the cherries, draped the dough over it and then cut out the eyes. Using extra dough outlined the eyes but actually liked the first guys eyes better.

this time I baked it on the foil but managed to break pieces off when removing it... not serious thou.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4540.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	20925   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4543.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	20926  

Name:	DSCN4547.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	20927   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4552.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	20928  

Old 03-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
Head Chef

Last but not least - the head really did collapse on the pie.

I would bake the entire Octopus separately. Perhaps on the bottom of a Springform pan. Slide it on to the pie from there. Only thing need to figure out is how to remove the foil while do that!

I guess one could also use parchment paper, might be more brittle and therefore easier to use.

The dough alone browned in less than half the time of the dough on the pie. Another thought to consider.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4555.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	20929  
Old 03-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

They're adorable anyway, Drag! I'm sure it will taste good!

Tags
other, pie