Pie from the Sea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Of ten my friends & I would get together and have a "Theme" dinner. We would each make something: eg. one would make the appetizer, next the entre (usually reserved for the hostess), a salad and a dessert. We've had Oriental, with Thai highlighted. Another was a Seafood (or from water) theme with salmon, shrimp etc. We had a bit of problem with choosing the dessert but decided Key Lime Pie would be accepted as it is known for in FL and surrounded by the sea. Ok, ok a bit lame but we all loved Key Lime Pie.

Anyhow I came across this picture and want to make it! The head certainly looks raised. But should it be baked first and then very very gently put on the pie? What would you put under it?

I don't even remember where I got the picture from other than when browsing the internet.

Attachments

• pie from the see.png
    pie from the see.png
    158.9 KB · Views: 160
Am actually thinking that the main tentacles could be put on and baked with the pie.

The actual head and smaller points (are they tentacles?) could be baked separate and then placed on. Less chance of breakage?

But still need some suggestions on how or what to use to 'round' up the head and eyes.

The pie in your picture is a blueberry pie.

I think if you used fresh blueberries you could mound them up under the head portion of the crust. I think it would be similar to when you mound fresh apples in an apple pie and then after the pie bakes the fruit shrinks and makes a hollow dome.

If you want to bake the octopus separately then I would make the head/dome on a ball of aluminum foil sprayed with some cooking spray.

I think it would be easiest, for me, to form, egg wash and bake the octopus separately then transfer it to the top of the finished pie. I think it would make a great presentation for a seafood newburg.

Good luck!

In the picture it looks like they used either blueberries or cherries. The fruit in the picture doesn't look like it has been cooked though, it's still too firm. Maybe use balls of aluminum foil the get the head the shape you want when you bake it, then, as you said, carefully place it on top of the pie afterward. I agree that the main tentacles could be baked right on the pie.

WOW! Thanks guys, I really appreciate!

I'll try to keep a record of how it goes. :rolleyes: Am probably just going to use canned and frozen to experiment with. Hate making from scratch and have it go wrong after all the work and fresh ingredients. ;)

OK so here we go. Better have time and patience.

Need to have a crimper or ravioli cutter. Head started to collapse shortly after I placed it on the pie. Sorry some of the pics are fuzzy.

Attachments

• DSCN4525.jpg
    DSCN4525.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCN4527.jpg
    DSCN4527.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCN4533.jpg
    DSCN4533.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCN4536.jpg
    DSCN4536.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCN4537.jpg
    DSCN4537.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 209
From left over dough decided to do a 2nd head.

On the foil I used toothpicks to attach the cherries, draped the dough over it and then cut out the eyes. Using extra dough outlined the eyes but actually liked the first guys eyes better.

this time I baked it on the foil but managed to break pieces off when removing it... not serious thou.

Attachments

• DSCN4540.jpg
    DSCN4540.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCN4543.jpg
    DSCN4543.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCN4547.jpg
    DSCN4547.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCN4552.jpg
    DSCN4552.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 236
Last but not least - the head really did collapse on the pie.

I would bake the entire Octopus separately. Perhaps on the bottom of a Springform pan. Slide it on to the pie from there. Only thing need to figure out is how to remove the foil while do that!

I guess one could also use parchment paper, might be more brittle and therefore easier to use.

The dough alone browned in less than half the time of the dough on the pie. Another thought to consider.

Attachments

• DSCN4555.jpg
    DSCN4555.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 247
They're adorable anyway, Drag! I'm sure it will taste good!

Last edited:
Thanks you two, I appreshatates de compliments.

Hopefully I will find someone to give it to. Should I even have one slice the whole thing will be gone by the next day. I have no will power :ermm:.

With further thoughts, should I do this again for whatever reason, I would make the pastry a day ahead. I really don't perform well in the kitchen under pressure!

This would look great on a casserole. Chicken a la King (as a casserole). Tuna Casserole.

Last edited:
You misunderstood, I baked the first head on the pie. The second head I baked alone.

Yes, the steam certainly helped with the collapse but it was already on it's way down before I got it in the oven.

More thoughts:
was thinking I could reinforce the tentacles that broke (short ones attached to the head) with an idea from Chef Michael Smith. He used spaghetti to spear & attach some bacon to meat. I could use a piece under or thru the tentacles much like one would use iron rods in cement. They would at least be edible albight (?) crunchy.

Back
Top Bottom