Pie Pastry refreezing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gailybags

Assistant Cook
I have made and frozen pie pastry, I would now like to thaw and make apple pies and then refreeze for future use. Is this okay?

I've never done that. I think the best thing to do would be to freeze the dough in portions for a single pie. My pie crust recipe makes 3 crusts so I would split it into thirds and freeze them separately. Then I can remove and thaw only as many as I need. I would think the freeze, thaw, freeze cycle will diminish the quality of the pastry crust.

I think you are asking if you can freeze an unbaked apple pie. Am I right? I would bake it., let it cool completely, wrap it well,then freeze it. When you want to serve it bring it to room temperature then warm it in the oven, if you wish,or serve it at room temperature.

Have you ever bought a pie from the freezer at your grocery store? It is uncooked and frozen solid. Your answer would be on the back of the package. The more often you freeze and thaw a piece of pastry crust, the more is loses it flakiness and becomes tough. Flour, shortening and water are fairly inexpensive. Saving it once and then freezing it is as far as you should go. Make only as much as you need for just that one pie. Then you know your crust will always be flaky and fresh. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom