"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 10-30-2004, 09:16 AM   #11
Senior Cook

The pectin will break down in the oven, the question is would it reset??
Interesting.

southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 09:48 AM   #12
Master Chef

I learned this trick from my youngest daughter (please see my post under apple pie). Pre cook the apples until done to your liking. I leave mine slightly crisp. Use baking apples as suggested by the others as they won't release as much of their own juice into the pie. Drain the cooked fruit through a colander and place the liquid back on the stove. Bring to a boil, season and sweeten to taste. Add a slurry of cornstrch or tapioca starch until the liquid resembles a thick gravy. Add the fruit back into the sauce and fill the pie-shell.

The cooking method tips presented by the others are dead on. Follow them.
The advantage of cooking the filling on top of the stove is that you can flavor and thicken until it's jsut right, with no guesswork. Also, since the fruit, whether it's berries, apples, or pecans, has already released whatever fluids they are going to release, and so won't alter the sauce thicknes while the crust bakes.

For that shiny-golden crust, brush the top crust with egg-wash, then sprinkle with sugar. And don't forget the vent holes to allow for excaping steam. I bake my pies at around 375 to 400 degrees until golden brown. You can even blind bake the bottom crust, again brush with egg wash and fork it to prevent bubbling. Let cool, fill, and place the top-crust in place. For this method, back at a higher temp to quickly cook the top crust before the bottom crust can overcook (also line the pie-pan with aluminum foil, shiny side out, to reflect heat away from the bottom crust. The filling is already cooked so no need to cook a long time.

Hope this helps you as much as it does me.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:13 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Goodweed, I've heard of pre-cooking the filling before. After all, a lot of people and even bakeries use pre-made fillings.

My question, though, is do you put the hot filling in the pie or do you let it cool off first? I was wondering if there were any problems with the crust and the hot filling?
Old 10-30-2004, 08:57 PM   #14
Master Chef

Let the filling cool just a bit, until it's warm rather than hot. This will allow the crust to heat from the bottom up, cooking it through. Also, if you brush the bottom crust with egg-wash wehn blind-baking it, that will help prevent any moisture from the filling from softening the bottom crust as well.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 09:26 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to pst1can
this topic probably has as many different opinions as there are respondants....that being said this is what I do. For apple pies I actually will use any type of apple but I microwave it to partially cook them and then thicken with flour and brown sugar, spices etc. Then I add my crumble topping or a second crust with lots of vents for the filling to steam. For fruit pies, if I am concerned about how "juicey" the fruit is I wash the bottom crust with egg whites (in extreme cases like raspberries or mixed peach/blueberry I add quick cooking tapioca with corn starch & sugar). I have always sort of baked in the middle of my oven on a regular cookie sheet but my oven is gas/convection oven. To guarantee a nice "wedge" you have to pretty well allow the pie to cool completely. If you want to warm it then you re-nuke or put back into the cooling oven. One neat gadget is a "first out". You actually put this in your pie pan under your pie crust and then bake the pie. All you do after that is cut along the edge of the gadget and it lifts the pie right out. If you are interested in getting one in your area they are made by Foxrun.

Tags
None