"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 08-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDean View Post
It's called Derby Pie. It contains pecans, chocolate chips, margarine, flour, eggs, sugar, vanilla. Nothing in the recipe has changed in 30 years. Stove is 7 years old. Not sure what is causing it...thus the inquiry. And there may not be a real answer (based on search on other sites), but thought I'd try.
I'm a bit vague about this but could it have something to do with the chocolate chips? On a Food Network demo the cook was using chopped chocolate from a block of chocolate. She said not to use chocolate chips because they have additives in them that stop them melting satisfactorily. Perhaps the chips your recipe was devised for were different to the current ones?

Sorry, I said I was a bit vague about it. It was a long time back and I can't find a reference to the episode

Old 08-13-2014, 07:47 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I'm a bit vague about this but could it have something to do with the chocolate chips? On a Food Network demo the cook was using chopped chocolate from a block of chocolate. She said not to use chocolate chips because they have additives in them that stop them melting satisfactorily. Perhaps the chips your recipe was devised for were different to the current ones?

Sorry, I said I was a bit vague about it. It was a long time back and I can't find a reference to the episode
I'm pretty sure that's just when you are actually trying to melt the chocolate and have a homogenous mixture, not when the chips are supposed to stay relatively intact, like in a derby pie or chocolate chip cookies.

Tags
pie, recipe

Pie that won't gel A pie I have made for years with no problem now won't set recently. It's a custard based pie. I used fresh, new ingredients the second time and I changed the margarine brand. It set a little better this time. The recipe is over 30 years old. Could margarine be different now than years ago? Can butter be used instead to get better setting results? 3 stars 1 reviews