"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-21-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Pie Weights

For the first time, I am making something that requires pie weights but I don't seem to know a thing about them. First of all, DH asked me why I needed to use them and I didn't know the answer to the question though I'm sure it is a good one. I'm just planning on using dried beans but what do I line my dough with? Parchment paper? What will work best? And how many beans do I need to put in, just a layer or enough to fill the pan? Thanks! You guys are great!

Old 11-21-2005, 06:02 PM   #2
Everymom

Yes to parchment paper, cut to fit the pie crust. And yes to one layer of beans, you don't need any more than that. Good luck!

Old 11-21-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Are 'pie weights' used to bake blind? If so, I use ceramic 'beans' that I've had for 20 plus years!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:43 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Yes, they're used to 'bake blind'.

I have a jar of dried pinto beans I've reused for years - gotten quite fond of them! And I use foil, pat it firmly onto the pie crust, and leave a large 'cuff' on top - not actually pressing down on the edges of the crust. And I fill the pie with the beans - helps keep the sides from collapsing, particularly if using one of those ready to bake crusts that seem a little flimsier. I bake at 425 for about 10-12 minutes, then gently lift the foil containing the beans off the pie crust, and let it finish baking at about 375 for about another 10 minutes, or til light brown.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:02 PM   #5
Master Chef

Pie weights are use in blind baking crust, such as for a pie or quiche, to prevent the crust from shrinking and to keep the bottom from "poofing" too much. Normally, they are used until the dough is set - and then removed for the final portion of the baking to allow better browning.

Pie weights can be metal, ceramic, sometimes strung together and called pie weight "beads" - or you can just use 1-2 cups of dried rice or beans (I have always just used a 1-pound bag of beans - or 2-cups of rice). You can save the beans or rice to use again .... for pie weights. I just throw them into a quart jar labeled "pie weights" ... they are not good for anything else.

You can line the crust with either parchment paper or aluminum foil. DO NOT use waxed paper (like some recipes may call for) unless you really enjoy the faint but distinct flavor of burnt crayons. Trust me - I followed a recipe once that said to use waxed paper ... YUCK!

Humm .... marmalady types faster than me ... after I posted there was her reply!
Old 11-22-2005, 06:47 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Lol, it's what I do for a living , Michael. Besides, it was just great minds thinking alike!

Happy Turkey Day!
Old 11-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I was thinking just use a fork to prick the pie crust, which will prevent shrinking or puffing up. This reminds of the person that asked about a bacon weight.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:22 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Amber, even with using a fork, sometimes you get 'puffs' of air under the dough; using the pie weights prevents this. After having baked professionally, you quickly learn that 'an ounce of prevention ----'!

Have used a bacon press, too, when you need absolutely flat pieces of bacon for presentation or whatever - they're also great for making panini and Cuban sandwiches. Or 'chicken under a brick'.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:23 AM   #9
Executive Chef

These are similar to the ones I use. Mine were a birthday present from my children (obviously assisted in their choice by my husband's list from me!)

http://www.decuisine.co.uk/cookshop/...baking%20beans

Tags
None