Please help with Pastry recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kammy

Assistant Cook
A very long time ago I had obtained a recipe from a family member that has since passed on, and in the process of moving I lost it *cry*. I can't even remember the name of it however I will do my best to describe it. What I really need is the name of it (and I can google for the most similar recipe, or if you would be so generous to provide the recipe I would be thrilled).

It was shaped in a ring. The pastry was made with a tonn of butter ( I remember that) I remember having to fold in the butter, put back in the fridge, fold in more etc etc.. then when the pastry part was all done I would roll out some almond paste and roll the pastry over it..bake and out would come this beautiful ring.
I really wanted to make it this Christmas for some company but I cannot unless someone can help me out with this.

Thanks for looking
Kammy

It's a danish. When you make the dough, you do 'turns'. Roll out the dough, lay on some butter, fold it over, roll it out, chill it. After an hour or so, roll it out again, lay on more butter, fold it, roll it again, chill it. Some danish dough can require up to 8 turns. mm mm good.

I'm quite sure there was a specific name for your family recipe. I'd start googling with the words danish dough recipe.

Good luck, and save me a piece.:-p

As far as how they made the dough it seems to be the same(technique wise) but the recipe isn't quite there as you stated.

From what I remember I mixed flour, butter (loads of it) water (that's all I can remember) when it formed a dough then I had to chill it, take it out and fold in pieces of butter, form a square, chill again, take it out repeat, repeat repeat.
The filling was just almond paste so thats not a problem, but as far as the proportions of the ingredients I have no idea, nor the proper name for this dessert.
I have tried googling almond ring / danish almond ring/ almond paste ring..etc..no luck :(

sounds like danish dough to me, too. i'm not too sure about vera's "laying on" butter each time technique. the way i was taught, a slab of butter is enclosed in the pastry and successively rolled out, folded and chilled, just like making puff pastry.

here's a dough recipe:

4 c flour
2 pk dry yeast or 1 oz fresh
3 T sugar
1 t salt
3 eggs or 6 yolks
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/4 to 1/2 t ground cardamon
1 t vanilla
1 1/4 c cold milk

2 c butter

all of the top ingredients are combined for the dough. don't let it rise. chill it before add ing the butter. the butter can be rolled out between sheets of well-floured wax paper or parchment, then placed on the rolled-out dough, and then the rolling and turning begins.
it's a little complicated to describe and would take a long time to type. please google. the 2 techniques i'm familiar with is to roll out the dough into a rectangle and either fold it in thirds or, fold the 2 ends to meet in the middle and then close it like a book. this will be done about 2 or 3 times (turning between rollings), chilled, and repeated another 3 or 4 times.
the main points to keep in mind is that you want both the dough and the butter to be about the same consistency and, you never want the butter to warm up, as then it will get worked into the dough and you'll lose the flakiness.

oh, i just noticed tdejarnette's very excellent link just posted. roll it out that way.

best of luck recapturing your lost family treasure!
icon12.gif

Last edited:
I agree with philso..sounds like a Danish Pastry with almond paste filling.. It is cut into thin wedges,the flaky butter pastry a contrast for the moist almond filling inside.
Good luck ..family recipes are the best.

Back
Top Bottom