"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 06-03-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Plum Pie Question

Hi all -
I have a recipe for plum pie that I'd like to try, but the recipe does not specify what type of plums to use, so I was wondering if anyone out there has a recommendation (just the run-of-the-mill purple ones or something more exotic). Also, the recipe instructs to pit and slice the plums, but it says nothing about skinning them; is it necessary to do this or are they usually used with the skins?

Thanks,
Tim

Old 06-03-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I've never made a plum pie before but, I would skin them for sure.

Old 06-03-2005, 01:41 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I have never made a plum pie before either but I think you would use the purple plums. I did a google and the 3 recipes I looked at were all for the purple. All 3 said to slice and pit plums but didn't say anything about the skin. I personally would skin them because the skin can be tough and sometimes quite sour.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:50 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the replies. I will probably use purple plums (if only because that's all I'm likely to find at the local grocery store!) and will skin them. That's what I figured would be the best thing to do, but since none of the recipes specifically said I should, I thought maybe I was missing something.

Tim
Old 06-03-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Well Tim if the pie turns out yummy, you will have to share it with us.....the recipe I mean.....unless you want to visit all of us and bake us a plum pie?
Old 06-03-2005, 02:23 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I will share it if it is good; the recipe is from Bon Appetit a year or two ago, but I'm using my own pie crust and topping. Never really used plums in anything before, but the picture was pretty, so we'll see.

Tim

Tags
None