Let's call it what it really is:
Dutch Apple Pie
1 9" pie crust
2 lbs. apples (granny smith is the most popular)
4 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1-1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Core, peel and slice apples. Place apples and lemon juice in a bowl, mix well.
3. Mix brown sugar, white sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
4. Cut in butter with pastry blender or mix with finger tips, then add chopped walnuts.
5. Add half the streusel topping mixture to the apples and mix to coat.
6. Pour apple mixture into crust, then evenly sprinkle the rest of the streusel crumbs on top.
7. Put foil around edge of crust. Bake at 375 F. for 40 minutes.
8. Remove foil and bake an additional 10-20 minutes, until pie is bubbly and topping is golden brown.
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard