"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-09-2006, 08:06 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
Hope it will help. Good stuff.
I hope one of the administrators will move this thread to a cooking category rather than an introduction. I think more will see it, but maybe the heading will get the attention.
You are right Gretchen, I moved it now. Thanks for the reminder!!

Thanks also for the innovative recipe, I would like to give it a try when I summon up enough courage to tackle the puff pastry again!

Old 11-09-2006, 08:14 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I still occasionally make rough puff pastry (I think that's a English-ism) - but nowadays, I tend to buy it ready made, simply cos it's so time consuming. Mind you, for my Hogmanay steak pie, I still make my own pastry - my family CAN tell the difference between mine and shop-bought!

Here's a UK recipe which is exactly the same as the one I use, but I haven't had to type it out!
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/tuk/Rough.html

Old 11-09-2006, 12:02 PM   #13
Head Chef

I look forward to trying the rough puff pastry, if its good it will be a very useful thing to have.

Now, I am the first person to advocate making your own pastry, and home made puff pastry, when mastered, is wonderful...especially if you use a good quality clean tasting butter. I enjoy making it, but realistically its very rare I do. May be once/twice a year on a pyjama Saturday. The rolled puff pasty one can buy frozen is adaquate for most things, and yes, I have even cooked with it for dinner parties and not felt embarrassed, although I make all my other pastries nowadays.

Definitely try making it, but no one can describe it as a quick or effort free enterprise it IS delicious.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:09 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Rough Puff is easier than the regular and fun to do, but I wouldn't advise taking the time to do it for a big do like Thanksgiving. If you already had some on hand in the freezer that would be a horse of a different color.

IMO, the best Puff pastry you can buy is DuFours... they use real butter, as opposed to the more popular brand. Look around for it. Whole Foods carries it, and I believe you can order it on line. Just run a google search. I always have a couple of packages in the freezer for the "What If."
Old 11-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
Rough Puff is easier than the regular and fun to do, but I wouldn't advise taking the time to do it for a big do like Thanksgiving. If you already had some on hand in the freezer that would be a horse of a different color.

IMO, the best Puff pastry you can buy is DuFours... they use real butter, as opposed to the more popular brand. Look around for it. Whole Foods carries it, and I believe you can order it on line. Just run a google search. I always have a couple of packages in the freezer for the "What If."
It's still 2 weeks until Thanksgiving--enough time to get some in the freezer actually!! Would that the Dufours were available in the hinterlands--all butter is better.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:51 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
That's a very good point, in case you go for a ready made. You need to check the ingredients before you grab it, so many of them that are available in supermarkets are made with margarine instead of butter, and then you can REALLY taste the difference.... Make sure it is made with butter.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:37 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
That's a very good point, in case you go for a ready made. You need to check the ingredients before you grab it, so many of them that are available in supermarkets are made with margarine instead of butter, and then you can REALLY taste the difference.... Make sure it is made with butter.
In most parts of the US it will not be made with all butter--just a fact of life that you put up with. I have never even seen Dufours, although I haven't looked at our Dean & Deluca.
However, if you made even the rough pastry yourself it COULD be all butter. Good idea.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:14 AM   #18
Head Chef

It's worth the try. There's three boxes at our grocery and they have been there for a long time. It's too expensive to buy a box of stale puff pastry. Since your postings, I am thinking small amounts.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:20 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

I've always been too intimidated by the process.

Maybe someday when i'm really bored. lol
Old 12-06-2006, 03:31 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
... I enjoy making it, but realistically its very rare I do. May be once/twice a year on a pyjama Saturday ... Definitely try making it, but no one can describe it as a quick or effort free enterprise it IS delicious.
Lulu? I have a feeling this is the wrong time to ask since you're wildly busy moving, but may I put in a request for whenever you can to share your recipe, method, and, most of all, hints you have thanks to your experience?

Figure it wouldn't hurt to try making it, and who doesn't welcome an excuse for a "pyjama Saturday"?!

Tags
None