Puff pastry only cooks around edges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeb2020

Assistant Cook
ACDRCVr.jpg

For some reason whenever I put puff pastry on top of my pie it only cooks and puffs around the edges - the centre remains virtually uncooked.

I usually cook it on around 180c (fan forced). The filling goes in cold.

The cold filling is the reason the center of the pastry does not cook. Because the pastry is pressing against a cold surface it takes longer to get up to temperature. Also your baking temperature may be too low. Most puff pastry recipes call for a temperature in the 400s Fahrenheit.

The cold filling is the reason the center of the pastry does not cook. Because the pastry is pressing against a cold surface it takes longer to get up to temperature. Also your baking temperature may be too low. Most puff pastry recipes call for a temperature in the 400s Fahrenheit.
In one of the restaurants where I worked, we would cook the filling for 10-15 minutes in the microwave before putting the puff pastry on. We would do an egg wash and top the hot filling and then cook it at 375-400 for about another 10-15 minutes. Cook your filling first until it is almost done, and then top it with the pastry.

Welcome to DC. Stick around. This place has an answer to any problem you may have. And we are a lot of fun besides.

Back
Top Bottom