Puff Pastry Sweet Potato Bites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
In our supermarkets, we can get Peperidge Farm Puff Pastry Cups. They are a little larger than a quarter, and about an inch tall after baking. You remove the little pre-made pastry plug (like a doughnut whole of puff pastry), and fill with whatever you want.

For our Christmas Activity, and meal at our church, I was given the assignment of sweet potatoes. So, being the kind of guy I am, I just couldn't bring myself to make that tired sweet potato casserole with the added orange juice, and browned marshmallows on top. I boiled about 4 lbs. of sweet potatoes, drained, mashed, added one can of condensed milk, cinnamon, ginger, clofes, and nutmeg, along with some stevia to make a sweet-potato pie filling. I then added two medium eggs, blended it until sillky smooth, the cooked it on top of the stove. Let it cool for ten minutes, then piped it into the pastry puffs.

I go chewed out by DW because she had never seen such a thing and I was asked to bring sweet potatoes, not little pastries. I also boiled and blended another 4 lbs. of sweet spuds with a stick of butter. Again she complained that she'd never seen sweet potatoes served like that and that I always had to change everything. She said I'd be luck if I didn't bring home a whole bunch of everything that I had made. She really can't seem to understand that I know what I'm doing. Especially since she doesn't even like or eat sweet potatoes, what does it even matter to her.

The good part of the story, everybody loved what I made, even people who didn't usually like sweet potatoes.

i have found that with sweet spuds, there is usually a small part that is overly ripe, or ready to start sending out shoots. These areas are pretty bad tasting. By blending the sweet potatoes with butter, I've added seasoning, the richness in texture and flavor to make the sweet potato more complex, and elliminated any off flavors from missed bad spots on the tuber. The result is wonderfully flavored and with an unmatched silky texture.

The puffs, well they were like eating little bites of pumpkin pie and were outstanding. But that part was a no-brainer.

The puffs are so easy to make. Give them a try for your next pot luck, or party where you need finger food bites.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom