Pumpkin Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seriously - the one off the back of the Libby's can, with a little nutmeg added in. My dad loves it, says it reminds him of the pies his mom made when he was growing up.

Makes me wonder if Grandma was using the same recipe and not fessing up to it?

John

Thats what my mom always made too but she put in extra of the spices because dad always liked his spicier.

ronjohn55 said:
Makes me wonder if Grandma was using the same recipe and not fessing up to it?John
Gram had me brainwashed in a similar way about her sugar cookies. The recipe came straight off the Domino's bag.

I prefer the recipe off the One Pie can of pumpkin. The Libbys recipe has clove in it and I don't care for clove.

Mudbug: The best oatmeal raisin cookies are from a recipe off the Quaker Oats carton.

Robo410 said:
Boston Cooking School cookbook (Fannie Farmer) 1926. Awesome recipe!

my wife makes awesome apple and pumpkin pies, using the fanny farmer recipes.

Andy M. said:
I prefer the recipe off the One Pie can of pumpkin. The Libbys recipe has clove in it and I don't care for clove.

Mudbug: The best oatmeal raisin cookies are from a recipe off the Quaker Oats carton.

Me too! But I add some Penzey's "cake spice" to mine.

I made the worst oatmeal raisin cookies from "The Best Recipe" the other day. The dough was delicious but the the cookies were the dry and crispy kind.

My wife would skin me if I used anything but the Libby's recipe. but I have made pumpkin fillings for other things, like tarts, or a pumpkin desert similar to a dump cake. And using different spices is often a good thing. Unfortunately, I wing it and don't have the amounts right now.

A good place to start though, is with the Libby's recipe. Then increase or decrease spice amounts, and add or eliminate. If you don't like cloves, substitue allspice in the recipe. Add extra nutmeg, or put some malt-powder in. I would try to keep the ratio of liquid to pumpkin to egg the same though, as the texture of Libby's pumpkin pie is very good.

As another twist, replace the four-based pie crust with a graham cracker crust, as you would for a cheesecake. Try topping the pumpkin pie with a flavored whipped cream.

I love to experiment. sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. but I always learn something from the process, and improve my skills.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks everyone! I wonder what all other recipes we grew up loving actually came from the back of a box or can.

Andy M. said:

yes indeedy, Andy. That's the one I always use. Sometimes I go a little nuts and use dried cranberries instead of raisins, though.

Back
Top Bottom