"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 09-17-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

You can buy canned pumpkin. The only ingredient is pumpkin, no spices. Every brand of pumpkin has a pie recipe on it. I prefer the One Pie brand recipe to the Libby's recipe as I dislike clove and Libby's is heavier in clove.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:43 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Andy is correct. You can buy just plain canned pumpkin. It's usually labeled "solid-pack" pumpkin, which means that the only thing in the can is pumpkin. No spices.

The other canned pumpkin product may be labeled pumpkin pie mix or pumpkin pie filling. They contain pumpkin and assorted spices such as cinnamon, cloves, ginger, etc., which are in many pumpkin pie recipes.

Until recent years I absolutely detested any baked pumpkin pie. I think that's because I was raised on a no-bake version, which I'll post below. I've served it to people who don't care for pumpkin pie of any type and they loved it. This recipe has been in my family for over 50 years and it is delicious. Enjoy!

KATIE’S MARSHMALLOW PUMPKIN PIE

(Serves 8)
1 (9-in.) baked pie shell
½ lb. marshmallows or 32 large marshmallows
1 (16-oz.) can solid-pack pumpkin
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup heavy cream
Sweetened whipped cream, for serving

In the top of a double boiler, combine marshmallows, pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Over simmering water, heat and stir mixture until marshmallows are completely melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool at room temperature until completely cool. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whip cream until it holds soft to firm peaks. Fold into pumpkin mixture and turn into baked pie shell. Refrigerate overnight. Serve topped with a dollop of whipped cream.

Note: To prepare in the microwave, place the ingredients in a 2-quart microwave-safe bowl and microwave on MEDIUM power for 4 minutes. Stir and continue to microwave on MEDIUM power, at 4-minute intervals, until the marshmallows are melted.

When the marshmallows are melted, proceed as the recipe directs.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #13
Master Chef

I've made pumpkin pie with a real pumpkin and from a can and the canned pie was better and much easier.

It's truly one of the few things IMO are "just as good" made with canned. Good canned tomatoes are another example.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:15 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Here is an outstanding recipe for pumpkin pie from Cooking Light magazine, using a refrigerated pie crust (graham craker crusts just don't make a good pumpkin pie, trust me) and canned pumpkin. I have never had a Cooking Light recipe fail me.

In fact here are two recipes:

1. A BASIC PUMPKIN PIE if you're feeling intimidated

2. A MAPLE-BURBOUN PUMPKIN PIE if you're feeling adventurous, or if you're Uncle Bob!
Old 09-17-2007, 01:53 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Cut your pumpkins in half, and roast them in a 350 oven for about an hour, till they are soft enough to scoop out the flesh. (cover them as they roast.)

Process the soft pulp, and then slow roast for an additional 15 minutes to get all the excess moisture out.

I prefer a blend of white and brown sugar for the recipe. I use half and half instead of evaporated milk. I add 1/4 cup brandy or rum, as well.

Yay to you for using fresh pumpkins!!!!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Thanks everyone. I didn't use the graham cracker crust. But I did go ahead and use the fresh pumpkins.

Here's the recipe I used. Fresh Pumpkin Pie - Allrecipes

Instead of Cinnamon I doubled up on the ginger and I used a pumpkin spice I found at the store. Hubby loves it. Thinks it's better than store bought. :)

Robin
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:17 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Decided to add my question to this thread hoping someone will give me a suggestion. If evaporated milk or heavy cream are substituted for 1% milk, would that make the pie bake at the right consistency and taste alright?
Old 09-30-2007, 10:36 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Decided to add my question to this thread hoping someone will give me a suggestion. If evaporated milk or heavy cream are substituted for 1% milk, would that make the pie bake at the right consistency and taste alright?
I used heavy cream in mine and it worked just fine.

Robin
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:21 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina
I've always used canned condensed or evaporated milk in mine. I've never seen a recipe using 1% milk ... or if I did I didn't pay it any attention.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Well I experimented today on the pies Michael. I too usually add evaporated milk just this time I didn't have any available. Instead, I added cream cheese with the 1% milk to make up for the creamy flavor pumpkin pie has. I added a bit more sugar than what it asks for too. I hope it comes out good.

Tags
None