Pumpkin Pie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robin

Senior Cook
Good (Almost) morning ladies and gents.

Well It's me again. The housewife who doesn't know how to cook. :ermm:

OK. I'm wanting to try to make my husband Pumpkin pie from (almost) scratch. I bought graham cracker crust because honestly I tried to make a pie crust one time and it came out all wrong. So I figured I'll try that some other time and just stick with trying to get the pumpkin part right first.

OK..

I have 2 small pumpkins.

How hard is it to make pumpkin pie. can you post a recipe? I know I can search for one but I bet there's some :chef:'s on here with a better one handy.

Thanks and have a good Monday.

Robin

First, if you are making a pumpkin pie using fresh pumpkins it "ain't" ALMOST from scratch - it's from scratch in my book, even with a store-bought pie crust!!!!! ;)

Someone will come along with a recipe for you - I always make mine according to the Libby's can :chef: That's from scratch in my book! :LOL:

Hi, Robin. Well, maybe this is the easy way out, but I always buy a can of Libby's pumpkin and make sure I have all the ingredients listed on the back of the can. Comes out perfect every time and everyone loves it :) HTH. btw, I buy the crust, too ;)

Libby's for me, too, unless Publix has them. Theirs are spiced exactly right for me. I've never had pumpkin pie in a graham cracker crust. I use frozen crusts.

I've used the bought can pumkin pie (Did last Thanksgiving) and he hated it. Said the spices were not right or something.. .Might have been that I overbaked it too...lol

No doubt - you spoiled him :LOL:!!!!!!! I guarantee someone will help you with a tried and true recipe using fresh pumpkin!

lol. Well he came to me already spoiled. His momma is a wonderful chef. She made everything from scratch. No fast food in her house. And at thanksgiving her and her sisters would have 10 old fashioned (I'm talking wood burning type stoves) going with all different types of stuff. So I think my little bit of spoiling didn't do it. lol.

She's in Ohio though and really doesn't have the time to coach me over the phone. And my mother was the total opposite. She was NOT domesticated at all. We got microwavable dinners and anything she could boil. lol.

Needless to say whatever I cook I either have to learn from my husband or by myself. Normally it's the latter.

I made a pie from a pumpkin once. Roasted it
in the oven (split in halves/quarters) and
then pureed in the food processor. May need
to get the extra liquid out, you want it the
consistency of the canned pumpkin. Then
I used the Libby's recipe, it really is the
best I've found.

Hi, Robin, I think when you made the pie for your hubby - you used canned pumpkin pie mix not just pure pumpkin - where you add your own spices. The refrigerated or frozen pie crust work very well. Its all I use (not a baker). This is just my take on your post. Good luck !

First you need the right kind of pumpkins - -most are not sweet enough. The ones to make pie with are usually small and have a sweet sounding name. You need to halve them and seed them brush them with oil and bake them until they're tender then cool enough to handle then scoop out the pulp ans and put through the food processor.

I really think you'd be better advised to use canned pumpkin - it's much more uniform and dependable and sooooo much easier!

You can buy canned pumpkin. The only ingredient is pumpkin, no spices. Every brand of pumpkin has a pie recipe on it. I prefer the One Pie brand recipe to the Libby's recipe as I dislike clove and Libby's is heavier in clove.

Andy is correct. You can buy just plain canned pumpkin. It's usually labeled "solid-pack" pumpkin, which means that the only thing in the can is pumpkin. No spices.

The other canned pumpkin product may be labeled pumpkin pie mix or pumpkin pie filling. They contain pumpkin and assorted spices such as cinnamon, cloves, ginger, etc., which are in many pumpkin pie recipes.

Until recent years I absolutely detested any baked pumpkin pie. I think that's because I was raised on a no-bake version, which I'll post below. I've served it to people who don't care for pumpkin pie of any type and they loved it. This recipe has been in my family for over 50 years and it is delicious. Enjoy!

KATIE’S MARSHMALLOW PUMPKIN PIE

(Serves 8)​
1 (9-in.) baked pie shell
½ lb. marshmallows or 32 large marshmallows
1 (16-oz.) can solid-pack pumpkin
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup heavy cream
Sweetened whipped cream, for serving

In the top of a double boiler, combine marshmallows, pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Over simmering water, heat and stir mixture until marshmallows are completely melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool at room temperature until completely cool. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whip cream until it holds soft to firm peaks. Fold into pumpkin mixture and turn into baked pie shell. Refrigerate overnight. Serve topped with a dollop of whipped cream.

Note: To prepare in the microwave, place the ingredients in a 2-quart microwave-safe bowl and microwave on MEDIUM power for 4 minutes. Stir and continue to microwave on MEDIUM power, at 4-minute intervals, until the marshmallows are melted.

When the marshmallows are melted, proceed as the recipe directs.

I've made pumpkin pie with a real pumpkin and from a can and the canned pie was better and much easier.

It's truly one of the few things IMO are "just as good" made with canned. Good canned tomatoes are another example.

Here is an outstanding recipe for pumpkin pie from Cooking Light magazine, using a refrigerated pie crust (graham craker crusts just don't make a good pumpkin pie, trust me) and canned pumpkin. I have never had a Cooking Light recipe fail me.

In fact here are two recipes:

1. A BASIC PUMPKIN PIE if you're feeling intimidated

2. A MAPLE-BURBOUN PUMPKIN PIE if you're feeling adventurous, or if you're Uncle Bob!

Cut your pumpkins in half, and roast them in a 350 oven for about an hour, till they are soft enough to scoop out the flesh. (cover them as they roast.)

Process the soft pulp, and then slow roast for an additional 15 minutes to get all the excess moisture out.

I prefer a blend of white and brown sugar for the recipe. I use half and half instead of evaporated milk. I add 1/4 cup brandy or rum, as well.

Yay to you for using fresh pumpkins!!!!

Thanks everyone. I didn't use the graham cracker crust. But I did go ahead and use the fresh pumpkins.

Here's the recipe I used. Fresh Pumpkin Pie - Allrecipes

Instead of Cinnamon I doubled up on the ginger and I used a pumpkin spice I found at the store. Hubby loves it. Thinks it's better than store bought. :)

Decided to add my question to this thread hoping someone will give me a suggestion. If evaporated milk or heavy cream are substituted for 1% milk, would that make the pie bake at the right consistency and taste alright?

Decided to add my question to this thread hoping someone will give me a suggestion. If evaporated milk or heavy cream are substituted for 1% milk, would that make the pie bake at the right consistency and taste alright?

I used heavy cream in mine and it worked just fine.

Dina said:

I've always used canned condensed or evaporated milk in mine. I've never seen a recipe using 1% milk ... or if I did I didn't pay it any attention.

Well I experimented today on the pies Michael. I too usually add evaporated milk just this time I didn't have any available. Instead, I added cream cheese with the 1% milk to make up for the creamy flavor pumpkin pie has. I added a bit more sugar than what it asks for too. I hope it comes out good.

Back
Top Bottom