Pumpkin Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Pirate wanted a Pumpkin Pie. I can't eat it, so I looked for a recipe that would make a small one. He doesn't need the extra calories. To my Surprise I found the following one.

Perfect Pumpkin Pie

I had a Keebler 'Nilla Cookie crust on hand. So I used that. I also totaled the amount of herbs and used McCormick's Pie Herb Mixture instead of individual amounts of each. The amount of filling was PERFECT for the size of the pie pan. Most recipes for Pumpkin Pie gives you enough filling for a deep dish pie. This pie is a perfect size for someone who lives alone or with one other person.

And it is so easy! :angel:

I ran across a version on Serious Eat last week that I've been thinking of test-driving. It blind-bakes the crust for a short time, and substitutes cream cheese for the canned milk. Both adjustments are there to eliminate any chance of the crust being soggy. Not a big issue with my pies, but I at least have an excuse for another pumpkin pie this time of year. ;)

Since my SIL is usually the pie baker for Thanksgiving, I might go ahead and try this a week or two later and run half over to their house for their opinion. I usually make a pumpkin pie when we're visiting the kids at Christmas and I'd like to make this "new and improved" version if it really is improved.

Extra Smooth Pumpkin Pie

That look like an interesting option. I'm not a pumpkin pie fan but that one might do.

What do you think about using a graham cracker of ginger snap crumb crust? If this heretical for pumpkin pie purists?

That look like an interesting option. I'm not a pumpkin pie fan but that one might do.

What do you think about using a graham cracker of ginger snap crumb crust? If this heretical for pumpkin pie purists?

If it is, then let them make their own pie. :angel:

Ginger snap crust goes great with pumpkin pie filling. I've made it this way a number of times.

I find pumpkin goes well with apple puree so, unless needing to stick to a substitute traditional format, I would have experimented with that combination.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to add apple to a pumpkin pie as the moisture content would be substantially changed. Got a recipe?

I'm not sure how to add apple to a pumpkin pie as the moisture content would be substantially changed. Got a recipe?
Well at the moment it is just an idea. However, a great way of getting a fairly concentrated/dryish apple puree is just to bake a cooking apple on a fairly high heat until it goes pulpy. (I take out the core first - helps conduct more even heat throughout). Incidentally I find this apple puree is delightful on oatcakes/biscuits as a jam substitute e.g. to have with a cup of tea.

When using pumpkin, I also prefer it baked first to concentrate its flavour.

Ginger snap crust goes great with pumpkin pie filling. I've made it this way a number of times.

It is the only crust I will I use for pumpkin cheesecake. The same seasonings for the cookies can be found in the pumpkin.

Any extra leftover cookies, they travel with the cheesecake. Not on my list of favorite sweets. :angel:

My husband and I are going to our DF's home in Northern Arizona for Thanksgiving and I have been asked to make the pies.
Per DH's request one will be my Apple (now morphed to Caramel Apple) Crostata and then the hostess has requested Pumpkin.
As DH REALLY does not care for squash of any type, I haven't made a
Pumpkin Pie in EONS!
So this the recipe that I've chosen to use
https://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/18470/libbys-famous-pumpkin-pie/
the crust is already made and resting in the `fridge for me to bake tomorrow.
For the 3 hour car ride, I've purchased these from the Dollar Store
cake carrier.jpg
They're a buck, can you believe that?
I bought two to go and one for home.
Sometimes my cakes are too tall for my glass covered cake stand,
so this works well. Not to mention baked goods don't last very long in our house ;) I made a Caramel Apple Crostata the other day for dessert after dinner.
WELL!
The pie came out of the oven about 3pm and was GONE when I woke up the next morning! :pig:

That was the very same recipe I used as a teenager making my first pie. It has to be the most famous one. Like I have always said, go to the experts. Chocolate? Go to Hershey's. And Libby's is the expert for the pumpkin pie. So why was the pie gone so fast? Looks like you are going to have to make a couple of more. One for your house (again!) and one to travel.

I like that travel cake carrier. I need to get down the square and fill up on dollar items. That carrier is definitely on my list. :angel:

I think that would be awesome! I would definitely bake the crust for 10-15 minutes to toast it a bit.

That was the very same recipe I used as a teenager making my first pie. It has to be the most famous one. Like I have always said, go to the experts. Chocolate? Go to Hershey's. And Libby's is the expert for the pumpkin pie. So why was the pie gone so fast? Looks like you are going to have to make a couple of more. One for your house (again!) and one to travel.

I like that travel cake carrier. I need to get down the square and fill up on dollar items. That carrier is definitely on my list. :angel:

My husband goes cuckoo for that version of Apple Pie and to tell the truth Addie, I don't make it in a set size, it's free-form and not as big as one baked in a dish.

A little off topic, but I also found this
cupcake carrier.jpg
I saw it at our local Dollar Tree last year but never picked it up and dontcha know, it was gone when I REALLY wanted it. So, I bought one the other day. DH likes to survey my booty when I come back from shopping, for food or otherwise, and he laughed his fool head off when he saw my Dollar Tree finds. "Only you would buy stuff like this." I beg to differ, I can't be alone.

One year I made two types of pumpkin pie. Standard and one that substitutes 2 tbs molasses and 1 1/2 cups of sour cream for the evap milk (2 pie recipe)......wasn't too bad. Recipes are from Joy of Cooking......1976 edition. I keep the book next to my desk.....along with many automotive manuals.

My husband goes cuckoo for that version of Apple Pie and to tell the truth Addie, I don't make it in a set size, it's free-form and not as big as one baked in a dish.

A little off topic, but I also found this
View attachment 23876
I saw it at our local Dollar Tree last year but never picked it up and dontcha know, it was gone when I REALLY wanted it. So, I bought one the other day. DH likes to survey my booty when I come back from shopping, for food or otherwise, and he laughed his fool head off when he saw my Dollar Tree finds. "Only you would buy stuff like this." I beg to differ, I can't be alone.

I have some favorite items from the dollar store. I will cut your hands off if you try to take them from me. I know a lot of folks who have more money than me, that are regular customers at that store. :angel:

One year I made two types of pumpkin pie. Standard and one that substitutes 2 tbs molasses and 1 1/2 cups of sour cream for the evap milk (2 pie recipe)......wasn't too bad. Recipes are from Joy of Cooking......1976 edition. I keep the book next to my desk.....along with many automotive manuals.

My son has the original first edition of JOC book that his father left when he died. I and I don't know of anyone here that doesn't love JOC. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom