"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 10-27-2004, 10:24 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Sorry, mudbug - shoulda been clearer - the 2 cups is of the puree itself. I've also found it helpful to let the puree drain a little bit in a sieve to lose some of the extra liquid, then measure it out.

Old 10-27-2004, 06:23 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Pumpkin Pie Alternatives

At this time of year I make pumpkin bread. I add whatever I have on hand ie. craisins, raisins, walnuts, dates, etc. Easy to make and it's good. I just took some to a covered dish lunch and it was a tasty dessert that was not overly sweet.

Old 10-27-2004, 08:46 PM   #13
Sous Chef

A few years ago, we thought we'd do something different. Figured we'd be tired of pumpkin pie. So, we decided to make sweet potato pie. Actually made it from scratch. We sure looked forward to eating something different. Come time for dessert, we all had a good laugh because that sweet potato pie tasted just like pumpkin pie.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:51 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Wow! Thanks everyone. I can't believe all the great ideas you've already given me. The pumpkin mousse sounds delish and I'm really intrigued by the carrot pie recipe. I can't wait to get cooking. I'd start now but I have to go to work. Hmm. . . Cooking - Work - Cooking - Work - Cooking - You know I could call in sick. . . But then I'd have no way to pay for the ingredients so I guess I'd better head off to work.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:56 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Goodweed, you sound like my sister. A couple years ago in my search for pumpkin pie alternatives I made a pumpkin cheesecake. I thought it was delicious. My family (sister in particular) thought it had a personality disorder - it couldn't decide what it was. And I quote "pumpkin pie? Cheesecake? Pick one!" (i.e. My sister just doesn't want anything like pumpkin interfering with her cheesecake. :) ) Oh well, the search continues. . . but isn't that what life is all about? The search?
Old 10-28-2004, 12:50 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I love lots of pumpkin ideas - I love all winter squash. You can really use any winter squash in these recipes, especially butternut, sweet dumpling, and acorn. I have also made Pumpkin Ravioli - a pumpkin cheesecake filling into wonton wrappers, baked until crispy and served warm with a creme anglaise - wonderful!

Pumpkin Bread Pudding
4 Eggs
3 c Whole milk
1 lb Mashed pumpkin
1 c Brown sugar
1 ts Cinnamon
1/2 ts Grated nutmeg
1/2 ts Salt
1 ts Vanilla
6 c Bread pieces (can also use croissants), torn
1 c Dark raisins
Boubon sauce:
1/2 c Unsalted butter
1 Egg
1 c Sugar
2 tb Whole milk
1/2 c Bourbon

Preheat oven to 350F. Generously butter a 2 quart baking dish.
1. Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add milk and beat again. Stir in pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and vanilla.
2.Add bread pieces to the milk mixture and press with your hands to submerge bread in the milk mixture. Set the mixture aside for at least 30 minutes, or overnight if time allows.
3.After soaking, break up the chunks of bread. Add raisins to the bread mixture. Fill the baking dish with bread pudding mixture and bake for 1 hour, or until pudding is set. Let stand for several minutes before serving warm or cold with hot bourbon sauce.
4.For the bourbon sauce, melt butter in a bowl set over hot but not boiling water. Combine egg, sugar and milk in a small bowl and beat until light colored. Add egg mixture to butter and beat with a whisk over hot water until sugar dissolves and sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Add bourbon and stir. Serve over bread pudding and ice cream.

Pumpkin Creme Brulee
1 1/4 c Whipping cream
1/2 Vanilla bean, split
5 Egg yolks
6 tb Sugar
1 ts Grated nutmeg
1/2 c Solid pack pumpkin
2 tb Orange liqueur
1/4 c Packed brown sugar
1/2 ts Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F.
1.Bring cream to boil in heavy saucepan. Remove from heat. Add vanilla bean. Let stand 20 minutes; discard vanilla bean.
2.Whisk together yolks, 6 tablespoons sugar and nutmeg. Add pumpkin and orange liqueur and mix until smooth. Whisk cream mixture slowly into the pumpkin mixture.
3.Divide custard among 6, 1/2 cup ramekins. Arrange ramekins in heavy large baking pan with a bain marie. Bake until sides are set but centers move slightly when shaken, about 20 minutes. Remove from water bath and cool. Refrigerate one hour.
4.Sift brown sugar and cinnamon into small bowl. Sprinkle over custards. Broil 8 inches from heat source until sugar begins to melt, watching carefully, about 30 seconds. This can also be done with a hand held kitchen torch. Serve immediately.

Pumpkin Mousse
10 oz Canned pumpkin
1/2 c Sour cream
1/2 c Cream cheese
1 c Sugar
1/2 ts Salt
2 ts Pumpkin pie spice
1 ts Ground ginger
2 Egg yolks
1 1/2 c Whipping cream
2 Egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
Crystallized ginger, finely chopped

1.In a large stainless steel bowl over a hot-water bath, combine pumpkin, sour cream, cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and ginger.
2.Heat water to boiling, beating mixture with hand-held mixer until ingredients are fluffy. Add egg yolks and beat for 3 minutes. Remove mixture from heat and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
3.Whip cream with 2 tablespoons sugar. Reserve 1/3 of whipped cream for garnish. Fold the whipping cream into the chilled pumpkin mixture, then carefully fold in egg whites. Chill for 4-6 hours. Top with remaining whipped cream and finely chopped crystallized ginger.

Pumpkin Empanadas
Pastry:
2 c Unbleached white flour
2 tb Sugar
2 ts Baking powder
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 c Shortening
1/4 c Butter, cold
1 tb Brandy
3 tb Milk
Filling:
16 oz Canned pumpkin puree
3/4 c Brown sugar
2 ts Cinnamon
1/4 ts Freshly grated nutmeg
1 Egg
2 ts Vanilla
1 Egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water for glaze
2 tb Sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Pastry:
1.Sift together first 4 ingredients. Cut in the shortening and butter using a pastry blender or 2 knives. The mixture should resemble coarse meal.
2.Combine brandy and milk, and drizzle over flour mixture, stirring with a fork to distribute. Do not over mix. Form into a flat disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes.

Filling:
1.Blend together the pumpkin, brown sugar, spices, egg and vanilla. Mix until creamy.

Assembly:
1.When dough is chilled, roll out thinly on a floured board or pastry cloth. Cut into 4 or 5-inch circles.
2.Place 2 tb pumpkin filling on the lower half of each dough circle. Fold over top half. Press the edges together with a fork. Brush tops with egg wash and place on a baking sheet. Bake 15-18 minutes, or until golden.
3.While still warm, sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. Serve warm.
**You can also bake these ahead of time and then warm them in the oven for 8-10 minutes before serving.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:00 PM   #17
Head Chef

The only other pumpkin cohort in my family is the oldest son. Fortunately, he can eat an entire pie in less than 24 hours. But kansasgirl's Pumpkin Bread Pudding, with Bourbon Sauce to boot...now that's one I bet I can sneak in!!! The Creme Brulee looks pretty good, too!

Thanks to ALL of you for these wonderful recipes!
Old 10-28-2004, 11:21 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Thank you Kansasgirl for all the delicious sounding recipes. I can't wait to try some of them out - especially the Pumpkin Bread Pudding. I adore good bread pudding & yours sounds delicious.

Here's a recipe I just found in "Cuisine at Home" magazine. It also sound really promising:Sweet Potato Bread Pudding

Sweet Potato Bread Pudding

Tip: To allow the milk mixture to soak into the bread, make the base for this pudding the night before you plan to bake it. Makes about 4 cups.

For the Pudding -
Whisk together:
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup whiskey, optional
3 eggs, beaten
1 T baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup dried cranberries
Zest of 1 orange, minced

ADD:
4 cups French bread cubed

COOK AND PUREE; FOLD INTO BREAD MIXTURE:
1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped into 1" chunks

FOR THE STREUSEL -
Combine, Stir in:
1 cup pecans, chopped
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

1. Whisk pudding ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. Add bread cubes and stir gently to coat; cover and chill overnight.
3. Cook sweet potatoes the next day in boiling water until tender; about 20 minutes. Drain, transfer to a food processor, and puree until smooth. 4. Fold sweet potatoes into chilled bread mixture.
5. Combine pecans, brown sugar, and flour for the streusel in a separate bowl, stir in melted butter.

Preheat oven to 400, coat a 1 qt. casserole dish with nonstick spray. Transfer bread pudding mixture to the dish and sprinkle with streusel. Bake for 30 minutes, or until knife tip inserted in the center comes out clean.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:11 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Roasted Pumpkin Wedges in Cream (Martha Stewart)

1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
2 tbs butter in small pieces
4 - 5 inch wedges of pumpkin, skin on.
1/2 cup heavy cream plus more for whipping

Oven 350. Clean wedges of pumpkin with damp cloth. Mix cinnamon, allspice and sugar in small bowl, set aside. Butter a 2 1/2 quart shallow baking dish and place wedges inside. Pour cream over wedges. Place butter pieces over wedges. Sprinkle with sugar mixture and place in oven.
Bake until golden and tender, about 1 hour. Remove from oven, set aside 15 minutes. Serve with whipped cream.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:13 AM   #20
Master Chef

You've heard of chili cookoffs, abrbecue cookoffs, etc. I invite all of you to come to SSM, MI, and help me convince our city that we need a pumpkin cookoff, to help the United Way, of course.

Ok, I know, I know. You're all as broke as me and can't afford the trip, or take off the time from work. But it would be loads of fun, cooking with all of you. :D

These recipes are amazing. I wish I had the time and resources to make all of them. And I'm not just sauing that to be polite (except I couldn't make the recipes with the Bourbon. Can't stand the flavor of alcoholic beverages, and don't use them anyway because of my own beliefs. But I can understand how the flavor could make the recipe more rich and delightful for those who do enjoy it.)

I copied every one of them into my file for recipes made by others (got to give credit where credit is due :) )

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None