Pumpkin pie base

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
Hello everyone:)

I have a large pumpkin, so pumpkin pie and pumpkin soup this weekend.

I saw some good receipes for pumpkin pie on this site. However all the ones I saw had some kind of ready made pie crust. Would anybody know how I can make my own pie crust?

Mel

Flour, equal parts butter and shortening and a few T. ice water. If you google pie crust recipe you'll get about a hundred.

If you've never made a crust before, stick with the most basic type, till you get comfortable handling the dough.

It's a lot more work, but, like you, I love making pumpkin pie from fresh pumpkins. I like the brighter colour.

Good luck.

and to add to what Vera said, do NOT over mix the crust. Mix to combine and then count to 6. Over mixed dough=gummy/rubbery.

Do it in a food processor too, you will literally see it come together. Should look like large pea gravel when done right, just dump and compress into the mold/tin.

Thanks very much u two. :)
This will be my first time ever, to make pumpkin pie.
It is not something we often have in Europe.

Mel

May I suggest, my friend........that you leave Europe and come to the land of the great pumpkin..Pies, bars, breads, soup for everyone!

Vera Blue, I have certainly enjoyed my couple of trips to the land of Pumpkin pies and great bars. I love variety. Every country has its special food treats. In fact travelling is what inspired me to learn to cook. I used to miss my favourite food from other countries, when I was not travelling. I have been to 40 countires and there is not a single one, that does not have something special to eat.:)

Mel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom