"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Old 10-20-2006, 06:53 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Pumpkin Pie Filling

Hi. I've never made a pumpkin pie's filling from scratch before and was just looking for a little clarification from some of you seasoned veterans. Now I've read all the threads about using squash and this and that, and I may try that sometime but for my first time I'd like to use a real pumpkin, being fall and all. I guess I'm a bit of a purist. Now from what I've read it seems you cut a pumpkin into cubes and bake it, then seperate the flesh from the outside, beat it and add spices, salt, cream/milk and a couple of eggs. Is that the basic idea? And does anyone have any tips to make it come out better? I tried to do a search but I didn't have much luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

Olive Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:05 AM   #2
Executive Chef
To make fresh pumpkin puree, first peel and cut the pumpkin into pieces, then boil with a bit of water until soft. Alternatively, you can steam it. Mash or blend it. 500gm peeled pumpkin will give you approximately 1 cup of puree. You can now add it to the rest of the ingredients for the filling.

boufa06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:21 AM   #3
Assistant Cook
I think when making pumpkin from fresh you have to puree and concentrate it also. It can be pretty watery. Also, get a small pumpkin--sometimes called a sugar pumpkin. The big "Jacks" have no flavor.
You can cut it in half, put the cut sides down on a cookie sheet and bake @350* until it is done. This cuts down on the water also.
Sweet potatoes make a really good pie of this kind also with lots of flavor--probably more than squash types.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:39 AM   #4
Head Chef
A couple years ago we had pumpkins and I cut the pumpkin in half and baked them ( 350 )and then cooled and scraped out the pulp and then froze it. To make the pie just follow any pumpkin pie recipe. We also roasted the pumpkin seeds with some salt and they were good. It's alot of work and the canned pumpkin is really good.Good luck on your venture.
thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
Executive Chef
I do the roasted thing too, with fresh pumpkins for pie. Also, after they're out of the oven and cooled, instead of just mashing them, try pureeing them in the blender; will make it smoother for your pie.
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #6
Senior Cook
I have one little flavor trick to add, when you roast your pumpkins, I like to roast the halves flesh side up, fill them half way up with milk, drop in a cinnamon stick and some star anise (whole) & nutmeg, this "juice" will absorb slightly into the pumpkin meat and add flavor, if you make the pie right after roasting your pumpkins, that flavor-infused juice is a great addition to your recipe in place of the evaporated or regular milk.

Flourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote