"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-01-2004, 10:49 AM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
Pumpkin pie HELP!!!

K so i was sent home last night with 2 whole pumpkins which I was told to make pies out of them....I have NEVER done this from scratch....What I think i want to do is cook them up, spicec it then put maybe 1 or 2 cups per zippy bag then frfeeze them.....>Can ANYONE help me in this? How do I cook the pumpkins and what type of spices...ok how much I know the types, but please help me??/ LOL.....thanks...

Old 11-01-2004, 12:36 PM   #2
Head Chef

Tanis, I steam mine....

Cut off the tops, remove seeds and membranes, slice into several wedged sections (like a canteloupe) and remove the skin. Then steam until tender. Then toss into your food processor or blender until smooth.

Alternatively, you can further chop the peeled pumpkin wedges into chunks, place on a baking sheet and bake at about 400-degrees (F) for about half an hour until tender. Then into the food processor or blender...

You can't boil pumpkin, because it will absorb way too much water.

Old 11-01-2004, 02:16 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I just cut them in quarters and remove the strings and the seeds. Bake them in a 350F oven until they are soft, about 45 mins. Scoop the flesh from the seeds and strain to remove excess liquid. Process the warm flesh in a food processor or blender and strain again to make a nice dense pulp. Freeze it in 1 c portions for later use. Sugar pumpkins are wonderful with a nice creamy flesh and rich flavor - almost a bit like butternut or kabocha squash. Here is a fun favorite.

Pumpkin Tapioca
1 sugar pumpkin, 3-4 pounds
2 tb sugar
1 ts cinnnamon
Filling:
3 eggs
2 c milk
1 c sugar
pinch of salt
3 tb tapioca, quick cooking
2 ts vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F
1.Cut the top of the pumpkin as you would for a jack-o-lantern. Scoop out the seeds.
2.Mix the 2 tb sugar and the cinnamon in a bowl, drop into the pumpkin and coat the inside thoroughly.
3.Place the pumpkin on a pie plate and bake, with the lid on, for 35-40 minutes.
4.In a sauce pot, whip the eggs. Add the cup of sugar, the milk, the salt, and the tapioca. Blend with a whip, set aside and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
5.Over medium high, cook the tapioca mixture, stirring constantly until it thickens.
6.Remove the pumpkin from the oven, remove the top and pour in the tapioca. Sprinkle some cinnamon on top, place the whole thing back in the oven, uncovered, and bake another 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, allow to stand for 10 minutes.
7.Serve the tapioca filled pumpkin on a tray. To serve, scrape some of the pumpkin flesh from the inside of the pumpkin along with the tapioca.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:21 AM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
That sounds easy enough. I just didnt know how to go about it. MIL said to throw them in a pot on the stove and if needed to add water but wasn't really sure. This will be easier than I thought...thanks for the help!!!

Tags
None