Pumpkin Pie Help Needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! There is excellent advise on this thread. I saw the opening line and said to myself; "I can help with this one. My pies come out great." Then I read the entries and my self said back to me; "You can't help. Everything's already been said." I had to agree with my self.:LOL: I can't add a single thing, except that I am proud to be a part of this group. Great job everyone. The op will have a beautiful pie, whether blind baked or not, or with an alternate crust.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

So...my second attempt, armed with all the wonderful suggestions. Have to admit that I ruined my 1st crust.:( It was too wet and stuck all over my granite counter. On to crust #2... I did not blind bake this time (that would be 3rd try if needed) but used a pizza stone in lower part of oven. I used times/temps from Andy, though actually pulled the pie after @ 40 minutes since it was firming but still jiggling. Knife came out almost clean. It browned a bit more than I'd like on the crust, but crust was thin, flaky and tender this time. Filling was wonderful and since I let it cool in the oven (turned off and cracked open) it didn't crack at all!

As beautiful as it gets for 4th pie ever, and yummy as well. I do need to work out a technique for pinching the dough... I have fingernails that tear through when trying the way I was shown by my mother-in-law. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear. It could really use some help!

Thanks everyone for all the input! I learned so much & it all helped! Final Q to those who bake: does anyone use convection for baking? I thought it was supposed to help. My oven has several convection bake settings. And if I use a convection setting, does it still matter if the pie is baked on lower part of oven? Thanks again & all the Best!

Attachments

• CIMG0153.jpg
    CIMG0153.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Crimping the crust, leave enough to fold under and crimp with the tines of a fork, cut off overhang.

Not sure about the convenction, sorry!

Ah... to crimp without fingers... love it! Yes... I guess I obviously trimmed mine a bit too close so will remember to leave a bit extra. Live, bake & LEARN!

So...my second attempt, armed with all the wonderful suggestions. Have to admit that I ruined my 1st crust.:( It was too wet and stuck all over my granite counter. On to crust #2... I did not blind bake this time (that would be 3rd try if needed) but used a pizza stone in lower part of oven. I used times/temps from Andy, though actually pulled the pie after @ 40 minutes since it was firming but still jiggling. Knife came out almost clean. It browned a bit more than I'd like on the crust, but crust was thin, flaky and tender this time. Filling was wonderful and since I let it cool in the oven (turned off and cracked open) it didn't crack at all!

As beautiful as it gets for 4th pie ever, and yummy as well. I do need to work out a technique for pinching the dough... I have fingernails that tear through when trying the way I was shown by my mother-in-law. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear. It could really use some help!

Thanks everyone for all the input! I learned so much & it all helped! Final Q to those who bake: does anyone use convection for baking? I thought it was supposed to help. My oven has several convection bake settings. And if I use a convection setting, does it still matter if the pie is baked on lower part of oven? Thanks again & all the Best!

I pretty much ONLY use convection since I got a convection oven. My oven automatically reduces the temperature by 25 degrees, so if I set at 350, it will heat to 325 with the fans going. You can override this by just pressing 'convect bake" for a second time and entering 350.

Does your oven do this, if not, reduce your temp by 25 degrees, convection ovens cook more efficiently and need a slightly lower temp.

I absolutely love the convection feature on my Samsung range.

Ah... to crimp without fingers... love it! Yes... I guess I obviously trimmed mine a bit too close so will remember to leave a bit extra. Live, bake & LEARN!

Sometimes I use a fork and other times I crimp using my knuckles the first joint (from the knuckle) on my fingers. I have that problem with fingernails too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom