"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #21
Master Chef

Wow! There is excellent advise on this thread. I saw the opening line and said to myself; "I can help with this one. My pies come out great." Then I read the entries and my self said back to me; "You can't help. Everything's already been said." I had to agree with my self. I can't add a single thing, except that I am proud to be a part of this group. Great job everyone. The op will have a beautiful pie, whether blind baked or not, or with an alternate crust.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

So...my second attempt, armed with all the wonderful suggestions. Have to admit that I ruined my 1st crust. It was too wet and stuck all over my granite counter. On to crust #2... I did not blind bake this time (that would be 3rd try if needed) but used a pizza stone in lower part of oven. I used times/temps from Andy, though actually pulled the pie after @ 40 minutes since it was firming but still jiggling. Knife came out almost clean. It browned a bit more than I'd like on the crust, but crust was thin, flaky and tender this time. Filling was wonderful and since I let it cool in the oven (turned off and cracked open) it didn't crack at all!

As beautiful as it gets for 4th pie ever, and yummy as well. I do need to work out a technique for pinching the dough... I have fingernails that tear through when trying the way I was shown by my mother-in-law. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear. It could really use some help!

Thanks everyone for all the input! I learned so much & it all helped! Final Q to those who bake: does anyone use convection for baking? I thought it was supposed to help. My oven has several convection bake settings. And if I use a convection setting, does it still matter if the pie is baked on lower part of oven? Thanks again & all the Best!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0153.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	8934  

Old 11-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Crimping the crust, leave enough to fold under and crimp with the tines of a fork, cut off overhang.

Not sure about the convenction, sorry!
Old 11-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Ah... to crimp without fingers... love it! Yes... I guess I obviously trimmed mine a bit too close so will remember to leave a bit extra. Live, bake & LEARN!
Old 11-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh425 View Post
So...my second attempt, armed with all the wonderful suggestions. Have to admit that I ruined my 1st crust. It was too wet and stuck all over my granite counter. On to crust #2... I did not blind bake this time (that would be 3rd try if needed) but used a pizza stone in lower part of oven. I used times/temps from Andy, though actually pulled the pie after @ 40 minutes since it was firming but still jiggling. Knife came out almost clean. It browned a bit more than I'd like on the crust, but crust was thin, flaky and tender this time. Filling was wonderful and since I let it cool in the oven (turned off and cracked open) it didn't crack at all!

As beautiful as it gets for 4th pie ever, and yummy as well. I do need to work out a technique for pinching the dough... I have fingernails that tear through when trying the way I was shown by my mother-in-law. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear. It could really use some help!

Thanks everyone for all the input! I learned so much & it all helped! Final Q to those who bake: does anyone use convection for baking? I thought it was supposed to help. My oven has several convection bake settings. And if I use a convection setting, does it still matter if the pie is baked on lower part of oven? Thanks again & all the Best!
I pretty much ONLY use convection since I got a convection oven. My oven automatically reduces the temperature by 25 degrees, so if I set at 350, it will heat to 325 with the fans going. You can override this by just pressing 'convect bake" for a second time and entering 350.

Does your oven do this, if not, reduce your temp by 25 degrees, convection ovens cook more efficiently and need a slightly lower temp.

I absolutely love the convection feature on my Samsung range.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh425 View Post
Ah... to crimp without fingers... love it! Yes... I guess I obviously trimmed mine a bit too close so will remember to leave a bit extra. Live, bake & LEARN!
Sometimes I use a fork and other times I crimp using my knuckles the first joint (from the knuckle) on my fingers. I have that problem with fingernails too.

Tags
recipe

Pumpkin Pie Help Needed! I am a newbie baker, determined to learn! I've only baked a few pies so far... several apple with perfect crusts (yeah!) and then the dreaded 1st attempt at pumpkin. Boo.:sad: It's crust was totally unbaked and gooey. I baked it at 425 for 10 minutes then turned down to 325 for @ 45 minutes. Recipe said to take out when filling firmed up, so I did. Filling seemed about perfect consistency, though it cracked on top when it cooled. What did I do wrong? How to fix? Any help would be so appreciated! I don't want to give up since I live to cook. It's just the baking that does me in. 3 stars 1 reviews