Pumpkin Roll: Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mischief Managed

Assistant Cook
I NEED to master the pumpkin roll by the time Thanksgiving gets here because I am on roll duty! I have been using the Pumpkin Roll recipe off of All Recipes.com (found here: Granny Kat's Pumpkin Roll Recipe - Allrecipes.com)

First time I made it I had to put it in the oven for 28 minutes rather the 15 minutes it suggests since it would not bake in the middle. The edges got burnt, however the center was still OK. I successfully rolled the roll in a damp cloth, however when I unrolled it it was very moist but cracked.

Round two I added more flour to thicken up the cake mixture and only had it in the oven for 20 minutes. I then successfully rolled the cake but again when I unrolled it (while it was still moist!) it cracked.

So my problem is, how do I make the cake not crack while unrolling it and rolling it up? And how do I prevent the icing from oozing out of it? As it turns out these pumpkin rolls are a lot more difficult to make than what I had thought!

I can't help you myself; but you may want to check the Food Network site for recipes for pumpkin rolls. Perhaps you can figure out from them what's going wrong.

I've never actually made this myself, but I have a friend who swears by the recipe on the Libby's can of pumpkin.

To start off, cook at a lower temperature, ovens can run hot at times, and sometimes you need to bake at 325. If edges are burning before the cake is done, the oven is too hot.

Second, make sure that you are measuring very accurately, especially in a cake like this where the structure and texture is crucial to success. Measure flour by fluffing up the flour in the bag and lightly scooping into the cup and leveling off, don't pack it down or scoop right from the container with the cup.

Whip the eggs in the bowl with an electric mixer until thick, they will become more pale in color. This gives you the bubbles for the structure, set a timer for 5 minutes and whip on high for the full time. Jellyrolls are basically sponge cakes, and this is an important step.

Hopefully these tips will help insure success. The Libby's recipe is a great one, I'd stick with that one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom