"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Old 09-06-2005, 04:35 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Queen Mary's Tart

Legend has it that this tart was named for Mary, Queen of Scots (but I've never really researched whether it's true!) All I know is that it is a very old Scots recipe

8 oz puff pastry
2 generously heaped tablespoons of jam (I like raspberry)
2 oz granulated sugar
2 oz butter
2 oz chopped mixed peel
1 heaped tablespoon sultanas
2 large eggs, beaten lightly

Set oven to 425F or Gas mark 7. roll out pastry onto a floured surface and line a 7 inch greased flan tin. Spread the jam over the pastry base. Melt the sugar and butter in a saucepan over a very gentle heat. Add the mixed peel and sultanas. Remove from heat and mix in the beaten eggs, a bit ast a time. Pour the mix into the pastry case and bake for 20-25 minutes until the filling is set and golden brown. Serve hot or cold as a pudding with whipped cream or cold, sliced as a treat with a cup of tea!

Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:43 AM   #2
Sous Chef
Oh my, does that sound divine! And... not too difficult, either. My gran used to make jam tarts with the little bits of pastry left over from making pasties. I know it's a different pastry altogether - but the idea of jam tarts made me remember. I have copied this into my file of things to try. Thanks! Sandyj

Sandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:35 AM   #3
Executive Chef
I hope you enjoy it!
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:21 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

this has my mouth watering I'm like Sandy and remember my grandma taking pastie dough and letting me help her make little tarts with it...I have some black cherry preserves with chunks of cherries in it I love and I'm gling to try it soon..I also have some raspberry so I'll most likely make both Thank you.
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:14 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
I'm standing in line with the others here Ishbel---waiting for a taste!

This looks wonderful and I'll be making it soon. What a perfect treat with a cup of hot tea. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
BellaCucina is offline   Reply With Quote