Question on pie baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daizymae

Washing Up
Hi. Is there any reason why I can't place a pie with a liquidy custard filling (pumpkin pie) onto a solid metal cookie sheet or similar in order to bake it? The reason being that especially with a thin aluminum pie plate the filling spills while I'm taking it from the counter and into the stove.

Thanks. :chef:

I would put the cookie sheet in the oven to preheat with the oven. This ensures better baking results. When you're ready, take the cookie sheet out and put the pie plate on it and return it to the oven.

Many, many thanks to both of you! As you can see, I'm behind schedule. Today is Thanksgiving in Canada.:chef:

Being clumsy, I always put my pumpkin pies (and just about everything else) on a baking/cookie sheet before they go in the oven.

I preheat the cookie sheet, add my pan with pastry to the sheet in the oven and then pour in my pumpkin filling. Saves accidentally spilling when going from counter to oven, especially with an Ogre I can't hear coming up behind me or cats trying to get in on the fun.

I preheat the cookie sheet, add my pan with pastry to the sheet in the oven and then pour in my pumpkin filling.

Same here!

I mix the filling in an old Fire King batter bowl similar to this one.

RLG-313.1L.jpg

It never occurred to me until I got an 8 cup pyrex and was mixing pie filling in it. I like yours better, elegant with class.

Same here!

I mix the filling in an old Fire King batter bowl similar to this one.

RLG-313.1L.jpg

I'm always looking for pieces like that in thrift stores. There is one that i'm always finding good vintage stuff at decent prices. I found 3 Corning casseroles with lids for a total of $11, I just had to have them!

I'm always looking for pieces like that in thrift stores. There is one that i'm always finding good vintage stuff at decent prices. I found 3 Corning casseroles with lids for a total of $11, I just had to have them!

Keep picking up those vintage casseroles, when you get a few too many they would make great housewarming gifts. Be sure to fill them with a retro comfort food like tuna noodle casserole before you drop them off!

My batter bowl came from the local flea market for a couple of bucks, I love pawing through the boxes of stuff that the dealers purchase from estate sales and storage lockers. Corning is getting pretty pricey in my area especially the odd designs like hot air balloons. I have picked up a few of the small Corning cornflower casseroles for a buck or two, they are just the right size for my kitchen.

Back to the pie baking. I forgot to mention that even when I put the pie shell into the oven and pour in the filling I still manage to spill some of the filling when I slide the rack into the oven. Instead of mopping the kitchen floor I need to wash an old rusty baking sheet! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
Well! My little question has certainly taken off! I want one of those 8-cup pyrex or fire king cups now. Best idea ever, to make your pumpkin pie mixture in there, then pour it into your crust which is already in the oven.

But it is true, some will still spill, but it will be less and it won't be all over the floor.

Because I was so late with everything, we ate the pumpkin pie (unbelievably tasty, made with winter squash from my garden on a graham cracker crust) at about 4 PM. I guess that's not really a disaster.

Many thanks, kids, for your input. I learned something today. That it's not only me that has spilled pumpkin mixture all over the dam place... ;)

Well! My little question has certainly taken off! I want one of those 8-cup pyrex or fire king cups now. Best idea ever, to make your pumpkin pie mixture in there, then pour it into your crust which is already in the oven.

But it is true, some will still spill, but it will be less and it won't be all over the floor.

Because I was so late with everything, we ate the pumpkin pie (unbelievably tasty, made with winter squash from my garden on a graham cracker crust) at about 4 PM. I guess that's not really a disaster.

Many thanks, kids, for your input. I learned something today. That it's not only me that has spilled pumpkin mixture all over the dam place... ;)
Love you for your kid comment since in 3 months I will be a half century old.
And yes have had many kitchen disasters.

Back
Top Bottom