REC--Scottish Apple Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Just ran across this recipe and thought it sounded like a nice variation. Ishbel and others, is this truely Scottish?

Scottish Apple Pie

Crushed gingersnap cookies, marmalade, and raisins set this pie apart from the American version.

2 refrigerated pie crusts (one 15-ounce package), room temperature
1 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/3-inch cubes
9 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/2 cup gingersnap cookie crumbs
1/3 cup orange marmalade
1/3 cup golden raisins
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1 tablespoon whipping cream

Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish with 1 pie crust. Mix apples, 8 tablespoons sugar, cookie crumbs, marmalade, raisins, and orange peel in large bowl. Spoon filling into crust-lined dish. Top with remaining crust. Press crust edges together to seal; crimp edge decoratively. Cut 1-inch hole in center.
Blend cream and 1 tablespoon sugar in small bowl; brush over crust. Bake pie until crust is golden and filling bubbles thickly, about 45 minutes. Serve warm.

Makes 8 servings.
Bon Appétit
January 2005
[/b]

I've got to be honest and say I've never seen this recipe!

Mind you, gingersnap biscuits are very popular in Scotland - my Granny loved them - and the Scots do TRY to claim that marmalade is a Scots 'invention' (but then so do the Portugese and the Spanish!).... Maybe those two ingredients gave the recipe inventor the idea that this would make it Scottish in some way? :LOL:

And in Scotland it would be traditional to brush the top of a fruit pie with egg wash to give a golden finish, not milk or cream!

Oh and apple pies are usually made with Bramley apples in the UK - these are large cooking apples which melt quickly in cooking. Golden delicious apples have little flavour for our palate - If using dessert apples in a dish (Tarte Tatin, for instance) I would use Granny Smiths, or Cox's Orange Pippins...

Back
Top Bottom