"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 09-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Rhubarb Cream Pie - Not

Okay, I took aunt Flora's Peach Cream Pie recipe and substituted 4 c rhubarb for the peaches. I added an additional 1/2 c sugar and upped the flour to 4 T. I added a bit of ground cardamon, but otherwise everything else was the same. I won't do that again--it didn't "set up" like the peach cream pie. It was runny--even though I upped the baking time in 5 minute increments for an additional 20 minutes. And, since I don't like rhubarb pie, it was, okay, but then all rhubarb pie, for the most part, is okay. I'm usually making a quick exit stage left when it comes to pumpkin pie, and rhubarb is a close 2nd. I just don't like most pie (or cake, or cupcakes, or most desserts other than aunt Flo's peach cream pie, LaMae's blueberry pie, and home made ice cream).

Old 09-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Master Chef

Rhubarb is full of water so that may be why it didn't set up well even though you upped the flour. It may need something else like tapioca to help it set.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Executive Chef

+1 for trying and another +1 for adding cardamom. Good effort. It's ok if it's liquidy if you put enough ice cream on it

Did you use frozen rhubarb? Now that I think about it, I said it was ok to use frozen in the rhubarb custard pie recipe posted the other day. I still have some frozen, the rest I made into jam and rhubarb sauce this year. But I was thinking of using my frozen in muffins or a coffee type cake, not a pie.

I think rhubarb is like 90 - 99 % water, not sure why it stays crisp before cooking, strong cell walls I guess.

Rhubarb is used as a savory compote/ relish/ that I have seen, but not made and is served with some lamb dishes. Seen it on the internet so you know it's true, but not sure how tasty. Google up Persian Lamb w rhubarb the next time you have a few fresh stalks.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
+1 for trying and another +1 for adding cardamom. Good effort. It's ok if it's liquidy if you put enough ice cream on it

Did you use frozen rhubarb? Now that I think about it, I said it was ok to use frozen in the rhubarb custard pie recipe posted the other day. I still have some frozen, the rest I made into jam and rhubarb sauce this year. But I was thinking of using my frozen in muffins or a coffee type cake, not a pie.

I think rhubarb is like 90 - 99 % water, not sure why it stays crisp before cooking, strong cell walls I guess.

Rhubarb is used as a savory compote/ relish/ that I have seen, but not made and is served with some lamb dishes. Seen it on the internet so you know it's true, but not sure how tasty. Google up Persian Lamb w rhubarb the next time you have a few fresh stalks.
My bro and I talked about this tonight--remember, we both grew up eating and making Aunt Flora's Peach Cream Pie--and my bro loves rhubarb--I do not. We decided that pears, mangos, apricots (2 layers), and maybe apples would work. The water in the rhubarb was the problem. If one cooked the rhubarb first to reduce it, that would be a huge deviation from the recipe which uses fresh fruit. Next test--pears.

Tags
cream, pie