Rhubarb Surprise Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Rhubarb Surprise Pie
Makes 1 pie (8 servings).

1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons milk
3 cups chopped rhubarb
1 (3 ounce) package
strawberry flavored gelatin
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions
1 Sift together 1 cup flour, baking powder, and salt.
Cut in 2 tablespoons butter or margarine. Add egg and
milk; mix. Press mixture into a greased 9 inch pie plate.
2 Arrange rhubarb in pie shell. Sprinkle with dry
gelatin mix.
3 Combine 1/2 cup flour, sugar, cinnamon, and melted
butter or margarine; sprinkle on top of pie.
4 Bake 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 minutes, or
until rhubarb is tender.

Rainee...
A couple quick questions on cooking with Rhubarb.
I made the Rhubarb Strawberry pie today from the recipe posted by "Oldcoot"
First I had to bake it for an additional 30 minutes. (recipe called for 10 min at 400F --then 35 min at 350) Even at that the bottom of the crust wasn't cooked.
I used a Marie Callander's premade pie crust and had put the pan on a sheet of aluminum foil on a cookie sheet to catch any sipll over, which there was a bunch!

Would the fact that I'm at 6,500 ft. require the extra baking time?

I selected the small stalks of rhubarb that were red for 1/3 of the length. My wife said they should have been red all the way.

Does the color or the size of the stalks have any effect on the cooking?

The crumb topping was GREAT! It will make up for the uncooked pie crust and we will be able to eat the pie. The taste is a little tart and texture is fine.

TIA

Charlie

I don't think the color does. There are many varieties, ranging in color from green to pink to red.

Not sure about the elevation, as I have never experienced that. You may to do a trial & error kind of thing.
Not sure this will help, but ran across this.

Here are some additional cooking tips for high altitudes:

For muffins, cookies and biscuits, decrease sugar and baking powder and slightly increase liquid.

For yeast breads, let the dough rise twice. Add more liquid if the dough is too dry.

When canning, increase the pressure and processing time. Use a pressure cooker to achieve the higher temperatures that help ensure food safety.

Boil foods longer on the stovetop to make sure they're done.

For more information on preparing foods at a high altitude, contact your country or state extension service.

Rhubarb Baking

Thanks Rainee,
A cook and baker at the Senior Center also confirmed that the color was not a problem.

I have decided the unbaked crust was a the resultes of the low baking tempeature and the double bottom cookie sheet.
I bake my Mrs. Smith's frozen pies (I also let then thaw for about an before baking) at 400F for 50-60 minutes.

I am aware of most of the high altitude "fixes" for baking and cooking. Water boils here at 192F.

I'm going to give it another "go" with some modifications.

Thanks again,
Charlie

Rainee said:
I don't think the color does. There are many varieties, ranging in color from green to pink to red.

Not sure about the elevation, as I have never experienced that. You may to do a trial & error kind of thing.
Not sure this will help, but ran across this.

Here are some additional cooking tips for high altitudes.

For muffins, cookies and biscuits, decrease sugar and baking powder and slightly increase liquid.

For yeast breads, let the dough rise twice. Add more liquid if the dough is too dry.

When canning, increase the pressure and processing time. Use a pressure cooker to achieve the higher temperatures that help ensure food safety.

Boil foods longer on the stovetop to make sure they're done.

For more information on preparing foods at a high altitude, contact your country or state extension service.

Hey Hungry, next time you do a rhubarb pie there are a couple of tricks to getting the bottom crust done right. One is to bake it alone for a few minutes, then fill and put the top on, but I find that the top crust lifts when you do that. My other trick is to sprinkle either some flour over the bottom of the shell or some biscuit mix. It works for me. Hope that helps!

Alix, does it still lift when you prick the bottom of the crust?

Yep it does. I should be clearer. What I mean is that when I do the bottom crust for a bit, then put in the filling and put the top crust on, it is the TOP crust that lifts. I don't get a good seal because the bottom crust is cooked already. So, as a result the rhubarb filling bubbles up and pours out of the pie. I learned early on to put a tray under a rhubarb pie though! Hate cleaning my oven!

Alix said:
Hey Hungry, next time you do a rhubarb pie there are a couple of tricks to getting the bottom crust done right. One is to bake it alone for a few minutes, then fill and put the top on, but I find that the top crust lifts when you do that. My other trick is to sprinkle either some flour over the bottom of the shell or some biscuit mix. It works for me. Hope that helps!

Thanks Alix,
I'll try the per-bake on the crust. But, I intend to stay with the Crumb topping. It gives a bit of sweetness and crunch to the filling.

I'll try to get the pie done this weekend.

Tomorrow is Bran Muffin and Cinnamon Roll day.

Charlie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom