"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 04-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Rough Puff Pastry?

Hi, I'm sorta new here...and a bit intimidated 'bout posting because this forum seems huge.

On to my question...I live in Trinidad and can't find frozen puff pastry but been wanting to make some "tarts." I'm not sure what they are called in different parts of the world *blush*...I think I've seen them called turnovers too!

Anyway I started looking up recipes and found a "shortcut" called Rough Puff Pastry. I started wondering about it and if any of you ever used such a method?

This is the first recipe I found and it has some links at the bottom that looks pretty good too.

Rough Puff Pastry Recipe - Basic Recipes - The Green Chronicle

One more very silly question, but this is my first experience with "pastry shells"...are they ready to use for "whatever" after they are refrigerated for the specific time? and how exactly do you "roll it out?" *blush*
I'm very new to the puff thing!

Thanks, Roxanne

Old 04-12-2007, 03:21 AM   #2
Head Chef

Hello Roxanne. I was nervous when I first started posting here, but everyone is very friendly and couldn't be more helpful. So welcome to DC.

I have never made this kind of pastry, just flaky and shortcrust. Whenever I want puff pastry, I buy it ready-made. I've had a look at a few TNT websites, BBC and Delia Smith in the UK, to see what they do. Pretty much the same, as far as I can tell. All my old-fashioned cookery books are tucked away in boxes, so I can't look at those.

Have you got a specific recipe in mind that you want to use this pastry for? If you post the recipe, you'll get plenty of comments on the pastry's suitability and how you should use it with the filling.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:52 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Are you thinking of making larger tarts or individual ones? I've only made puff pastry one time and it really wasn't that bad, but must admit I buy mine now also. But, I do have two suggestions to keep in mind when working with the pastry.

- be sure to 'dock' the pastry before filling, that means to prick the pastry with a fork.

- start your baking at a high temp. 400 F (would that be 204 C?) for 10 min. to set the crust edge (so it doesn't fall down the side) and then turn the oven down to 350 F (177 C?) to finish baking. (Individual tarts, you probably don't have to do this step)

have fun with your new project!!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:02 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone.
I haven't had time to answer sooner.
I would like to make individual tarts and was actually looking at this recipe
HERSHEY'S Kitchens: Recipes: Chocolate Turnovers

Tags
None