"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Thanks Andy!

OK....here I go!!!!!! Wish me luck!

2 cups packed brown sugar it is!

Old 11-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Master Chef

I used this recipe and everyone raved. It uses light corn syrup to highlight the flavor of the pecans. I find it interesting that Andy's recipe, and yours use butter. Mine doesn't and it tastes very good. I'm going to have to try it with the butter addition. That may make it even better.

I know that many have said to use dark corn syrup. I say make it to your taste. If you like dark corn syrup better, than by all means, use it. I'm going to substitute grade B maple syrup in my next pecan pie, maybe for a pie around Christmas time. But I do know that this recipe is tried and true. And as always, I have to agree with Andy about everything he stated in his post. This is just another version with a different flavor profile. The technique is the same.

Ingredients:
2 Eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup Light Corn Syrup
1/4 cup Sugar
2 tbs. Flour
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Vanilla
1-1/4 Cups broken pecans

Preheat oven to 375 deg F.

Spread pecans evenly in an unbaked 9-inch pie shell.
Mix together the remaining ingredients and pour over the pecans. Bake for about 45 minutes. Check at 40. Remove from the oven when the filling is set.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
Master Chef

The only time I had a runny pecan pie was when I subbed real maple syrup for the Karo. Then it came out of the oven looking and acting set and got runny as it cooled. Weird. I use the recipe on the Karo syrup bottle otherwise and never had a problem.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Maybe it would be prudent "NOT" to double the recipe until you are sure you have the bugs worked out?? It will be a little extra work; but you don't want two more runny pies if there is still some sort of problem.

Bake one pie and see if it turns out to your liking. If it turns out OK, then make another one. If it doesn't turn out quite right, then you can make adjustments with the second pie.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Good point!
Old 11-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #16
Head Chef

or use a tried and true recipe altogether

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I use Dear Abby's recipe and it turns out perfect everytime.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #18
Master Chef

Yesterday I went to make a pecan pie for my dad. Like I said I used the recipe off the Karo syrup bottle. This year, I thought I had enough karo but was 1/4 short so filled it out with real maple syrup. Used half light and half dark brown sugar which is different for me too. I usually only use light. It looks good and set so we'll see how it tastes later today.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
I use Dear Abby's recipe and it turns out perfect everytime.
That is the one I have used for quite a few years, myself; but, to be honest, the recipe that Andy posted with all of the different "shades" of pecans sounds even better though I might add a little more sugar to make a full cup.

I do have a problem with Abby's recipe once in a while. Sometimes the crust turns out a little soggy when the filling soaks through. Anyone know why that happens? Could it be the brand of store-bought crust I use sometimes or might it be something I do when I make my own? Would pre-baking the crust help with this problem? I have never done that before.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Fixing runny stuff made with corn syrup.

Pecan pie often comes out runny with the old recipes BECAUSE THE SYRUP IS DIFFERENT IN OUT 'MODERN' WORLD. Often(you can never tell when without a chemical analysis, but frequently these days) one component of the corn syrup is removed to be concerted into some (more valuable) product. What is left tastes the same but doesn't cook the same; the chemical composition is different(I DO have a PhD in chemistry). You will note this also particularly in making divinity candy. You must cook to a higher temperature than old recipes specify or the candy will also come out runny. BOTTOM LINE: add extra thickening via (wondra flour works well and easily) flour, corn starch, more egg yolks, instant clear gel(a treated corn starch that thickens even without cooking); there are a million things you can use; practice and find the one you like best.

Tags
None