"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Runny Pecan Pies!

The last 2 batches of pecan pies that I made came out runny! Now I'm being asked to make some for Thanksgiving, and I'm so afraid they will turn out runny too!

Is it possible that I am chopping the pecans to finely that it would make it runny? HELP!!!! Here's my recipe....

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!!!

1 stick Margarine
1 cup White Sugar
3/4 cup White Kayro Syrup
3 eggs beaten
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
Combine margarine, sugar, and Kayro syrup in medium pan.
Heat over medium heat to a boil.

In a bowl, combine beaten eggs, pecans, vanilla & salt.

When sugar mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat and slowly add to the egg mixture. Mix well.

Pour into pie shells and bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool on rack.

DOUBLED RECIPE WILL MAKE 3 PIES.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Here's the recipe I use. I don't precook the filling. The margarine may be the problem. It has more water in it than butter. Also, I recommend that either the sugar or the corn syrup be dark (brown sugar with white corn syrup or white sugar with dark corn syrup).

ANDY’S PECAN PIE
1 Piecrust
3 Eggs
1 C Dark Corn Syrup
2/3 C Sugar
Pinch Salt
6 Tb Butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 C Ground Pecans
1 C Chopped Pecans
1 1/2 C Pecan Halves

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Prepare the piecrust and place it into a 9” pie plate. Shape the edge decoratively. Chill.

Mix the eggs, syrup, sugar, salt, butter, vanilla and ground pecans in a bowl.

Spread the chopped pecans on the piecrust.

Pour the liquid mixture on top of the chopped pecans.

Arrange the pecan halves decoratively on top.

Bake for 1 hour or until firm.

Cool before serving.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

20 minutes isn't a very long cooking time so maybe it's undercooked? It's done when the center wiggles just a spiffle.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf
Pour into pie shells and bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
Not enough time IMO....Try 40/45 minutes at that temperature or cook until set.

Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsatb View Post
20 minutes isn't a very long cooking time so maybe it's undercooked? It's done when the center wiggles just a spiffle.
You and Uncle Bob both seem to think it's not cooked long enough, and looking at Andy's recipe, I see Andy sets the oven at 350 not 375. I also notice that Andy's is cooking for an hour...mine is only 20 minutes?? I tend to agree it must be undercooked...BUTTTTTT

A "spiffle", huh???? Mine comes out looking soupy! The crust will burn if I leave it in longer....maybe drop it to 350 and go longer???? I suppose I COULD put foil on the crust until the end, right?
Old 11-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf1038 View Post
You and Uncle Bob both seem to think it's not cooked long enough, and looking at Andy's recipe, I see Andy sets the oven at 350 not 375. I also notice that Andy's is cooking for an hour...mine is only 20 minutes?? I tend to agree it must be undercooked...BUTTTTTT

A "spiffle", huh???? Mine comes out looking soupy! The crust will burn if I leave it in longer....maybe drop it to 350 and go longer???? I suppose I COULD put foil on the crust until the end, right?

Your recipe calls for being cooked less because you precook the filling. Yes, reduce the temp so the crust doesn't burn. Covering the crust with foil also if you like.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf1038
The last 2 batches of pecan pies that I made came out runny!
Has this recipe ever worked for you??? If so...What did you do different the last two batches?

Obviously cooking it 20 minutes even with a partially cooked filling hasn't worked

How about forget about a clock, wrist watch or kitchen timer (Pecan pies can't tell time anyway)...Cook the pie until it sets....Then let it cool completely...

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:20 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Hmmmmmmmmmm??? I made a post earlier and it seems to have gone off into lala land??

The later posts by Bob and Andy pretty much cover the thoughts I had about baking time but for two things.

Your recipe uses more butter/margerine than most recipes I've seen so you might want to cut back a little.....maybe 5-6TBS. You might want to check your oven temp with a thermometer to be sure you are getting the temp that you want.

And finally, I second the earlier suggestion of using either brown sugar or dark Karo.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

You guys are great!

OK.....since I already had the light Kayro, I opted for the brown sugar. I don't know that much about cooking (as you can tell) but seems to me that regular sugar and brown sugar measure differently?!

I am doubling the recipe I posted earlier, and I decided to use butter instead of margarine. That would mean 2 sticks of butter, but is that going to be too much?

Also, if I am supposed to use 2 cups of white sugar....how does that calculate out in brown sugar? Boy...you know how stupid that sounds? LOL Am I supposed to pack the brown sugar in the measuring cup or just kinda dump it in?

Hope someone replies so that I can get started on this project.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Lonewolf, measure the brown sugar to the same amount as the white sugar. You are asked to pack brown sugar into the measuring cup because it tends to leave air pockets unless you do and you end up with less sugar than you need.

Your recipe calls for 2 tablespoons more butter than mine. That should be OK.

Tags
None