Saskatoon pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, you would think I was a new bride learning how to cook. I got my pies done and put slits in the top (I guess that was wrong) and froze them unbaked. I have always made my pies the morning of the supper, but this time decided to make them early and freeze them. I see now on several websites that I should not have put slits in them until ready to bake. Did I screw it up!!!!

Nope I do it like that all the time and my pies are always fine. Did you cover them with plastic wrap?

Marlene, you did just fine. I have always slit my pies (whatever the type) before freezing. As Alix said, as long as they are well wrapped in plastic they will be just fine.

Something that you could do in the future if you are unsure what your pie will be like but don't want to bake them right away, is to make a little one with some pastry and filling and bake it right away. That way you get an idea of the final result. Just remember to adjust the times as a small pie (2 - 4 inches) will not take as long).

Hi Girls,

That is good to hear. I cooked the saskatoons a little bit in a little water & then added the lemon juice. I mixed the sugar, a little cinnamon & nutmeg and 2 tbsps. of flour & 1 tbsp. cornstarch and added that to the berries. I then cooled the berries. After I had done all that it didn't look like enough filling, so I added 1 cup of uncooked saskatoons and put a little flour on the bottom of my crust in case it wasn't thick enough. Hope it turns out. I put them in the freezer to firm up a bit and then covered the top with syran wrap and wrapped them in heavy duty foil. Time will tell if they turn out okay.

also called serviceberries or juneberries here in the states. My mom has made them.

If we are talking about little, purple berries that grow on a small tree, they are sarvice berries, also called sugar plumbs in Michigan, and june berries. They can be treated like blue berries, but are less sweet and have small, but distiguishable seeds in them. You can also use them in pancakes, or put fresh into cerals. They were my Dad's favorite berries. Me, I'm all about blue berries and raspberries. Though wild sarviceberries are a treat when I find them in the woods.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

yep, as I mentioned before, they are known down here as service berries or June berries

Hi Goodweed of the North. Yes, that is what I am talking about. You mentioned raspberries. I have more raspberries frozen than I can ever think of ways to use them. We have two rows of them in the back and every year people come and pick and I freeze what I can't use fresh. I make raspberry syrup, raspberry coffee cake. Have even tried raspberry vinegar and raspberry liqueur. If you have any other ways to use them up, please let me know. I also use them in my smoothies.

raspberry Merlot jam.... mmmm. I just use merlot as part of the juice portion.

I give it away as gifts.
How about drying them? whole or as fruit leather?

Never thought of drying them. Fruit leather sounds so good. I buy them at Costco, but find they are full of sugar - hardly any calories though. :)

Never thought of drying them. Fruit leather sounds so good. I buy them at Costco, but find they are full of sugar - hardly any calories though. :)

Raspberry Fool

Macerate 2 to 3 cups raspberries with a cup of sugar. Let sit for an hour. Butter the sides and bottom of a ten-inch spring form pan. Line the sides and bottom with either crustless bread, or spongecake strips. Pour in enough of the raspberry/sugar mixture to cover the pan bottom about 1/8 inch thick. Add another layer of bread or spongecake followed by another layer of macerated raspberry. Continue in this fassion and complete with a top layer of the cake or bread. Place a plate on top to cover and put a can or two of beans on top, in the unopened can, to use as a weight. Refrigerate overnight. Serve as desert for your evening meal. It comes out like a rich and wonderfully flavored pudding.

Other ideas:

*Raspberry filled blinzes
*Rasberry filled doughnuts
*Thumbprint cookies with raspberry filling
*Raspberry filled fry-pies
*Raspberry Filled crepes
*Raspberry Filled Puff Pastry Cups
*Macerated Raspberries belnded into Whipped Cream
*Raspberry fluff (RAspberry gelatin with fresh raspberries, blended with whiped cream
*Mix seedless rasberry jam with buttercream icing.
*Spread raspberry jam over top of a cold, Three Muskateers candy bar. Yum.
*Mix crushed raspberries into hot chocolatge.
*Raspberry pizza
*Mixed berry piza
*Homemade raspberry ice cream
*Raspberry struedel

Take 1 cup mashed rasberries, combine with 2 packages cream cheese, and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Place 1 tbs. of the mixture and place in the center of a won ton wrapper. Fold into a pillow after wetting the sides with water. Deep fry and dust with powdered sugar.

I hope this gives you a few ideas you can use to help you use up the raspberries you have. I have made all of these and know that they are all great. You can even use the raspberries in a mixed berry compote, chill, and spread over an eggy yellow pudding cake. Just chill, top, and serve. I had a slice of this kind of cake just last week. My D.I.L. made it and I was in heaven.

You can also remove the seeds by running the berries through a juicer. Then make seedless raspberry custard using egg yolks and sugar, freeze in teaspoon size globs, and dip in tempered dark chocolate.

You can make raspberry butter too. I'm sure you will be inspired to try other ideas that I haven't listed here as well.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom