"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 10-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #11
Everymom

Marlene, I make saskatoon pies all the time but I don't make them that way. I put the bottom pastry in the pie plate, then I sprinkle about 1/4 cup flour on it. In another bowl I toss my saskatoons with sugar, flour and about 1/3 cup lemon juice. The saskatoons get coated with a thick slurry, sort of a paste. Then I dump the filling in the bottom shell, slap the top pastry crust on top, crimp the edges and bake til the juices bubble up out of the slits. Thats usually about 1 - 1.5 hours at 350. I suggest you put a cookie sheet under your pie tin.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #12
Cook

Alix - Everyone said that saskatoons have such a tough skin that they need to be precooked before being put in the pie crust. Obviously, you don't have that kind of problem. Woe is me - what to do!!!! I guess I will just have to try it out and hope my company likes it.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:51 AM   #13
Certified Cake Maniac

Marlene, I am FROM Saskatoon and grew up on saskatoon berry pies, jams, you name it. My Mom made the pies pretty well identical to Alix's method and they turned out great. I have made a few myself the same way.

Actually, Saskatoon berries aren't common to Northern Saskatchewan but we still had them often.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #14
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene2 View Post
Alix - Everyone said that saskatoons have such a tough skin that they need to be precooked before being put in the pie crust. Obviously, you don't have that kind of problem. Woe is me - what to do!!!! I guess I will just have to try it out and hope my company likes it.
I guess that depends on what you expect. I make my blueberry pies the same way but they don't need as long a cook time. If you wait til you see juice bubbling up thru the slits then the skins on the berries will have softened and split to allow the juice out. You will still have lots of fairly intact berries, but we like that in our pie. If you want the gooshy type of insides then definitely cook them in a pot and mash them a bit. Good luck. And LUCKY you! All our saskatoons have been done for a long time.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #15
Head Chef

I used Alix's method when I picked juneberries in Minnesota. Worked great!! I also made juneberry jam, mostly because I like to say "juneberry jam." I think it sounds like a great children's book title. :)

Never mind, I will go back to my corner and amuse myself quietly.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
Head Chef

oh yeah, Juneberry Jam, can I bring my fiddle?

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #17
Cook

Thank you very much for all of your replies. I want to make the pie tomorrow and freeze it unbaked so that I won't be too rushed the day my company comes. I make very good pies, but saskatoon isn't one of them.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #18
Head Chef

Yes, you can bring your fiddle. Don't worry--I won't be singing or dancing!!
Old 10-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #19
Cook

Well, you would think I was a new bride learning how to cook. I got my pies done and put slits in the top (I guess that was wrong) and froze them unbaked. I have always made my pies the morning of the supper, but this time decided to make them early and freeze them. I see now on several websites that I should not have put slits in them until ready to bake. Did I screw it up!!!!
Old 10-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #20
Head Chef

not sure it would make much difference

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None