"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 10-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #21
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene2 View Post
Well, you would think I was a new bride learning how to cook. I got my pies done and put slits in the top (I guess that was wrong) and froze them unbaked. I have always made my pies the morning of the supper, but this time decided to make them early and freeze them. I see now on several websites that I should not have put slits in them until ready to bake. Did I screw it up!!!!
Nope I do it like that all the time and my pies are always fine. Did you cover them with plastic wrap?

Old 10-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #22
Certified Cake Maniac

Marlene, you did just fine. I have always slit my pies (whatever the type) before freezing. As Alix said, as long as they are well wrapped in plastic they will be just fine.

Something that you could do in the future if you are unsure what your pie will be like but don't want to bake them right away, is to make a little one with some pastry and filling and bake it right away. That way you get an idea of the final result. Just remember to adjust the times as a small pie (2 - 4 inches) will not take as long).

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #23
Cook

Hi Girls,

That is good to hear. I cooked the saskatoons a little bit in a little water & then added the lemon juice. I mixed the sugar, a little cinnamon & nutmeg and 2 tbsps. of flour & 1 tbsp. cornstarch and added that to the berries. I then cooled the berries. After I had done all that it didn't look like enough filling, so I added 1 cup of uncooked saskatoons and put a little flour on the bottom of my crust in case it wasn't thick enough. Hope it turns out. I put them in the freezer to firm up a bit and then covered the top with syran wrap and wrapped them in heavy duty foil. Time will tell if they turn out okay.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #24
Head Chef

sounds quite yummy!

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
also called serviceberries or juneberries here in the states. My mom has made them.
If we are talking about little, purple berries that grow on a small tree, they are sarvice berries, also called sugar plumbs in Michigan, and june berries. They can be treated like blue berries, but are less sweet and have small, but distiguishable seeds in them. You can also use them in pancakes, or put fresh into cerals. They were my Dad's favorite berries. Me, I'm all about blue berries and raspberries. Though wild sarviceberries are a treat when I find them in the woods.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #26
Head Chef

yep, as I mentioned before, they are known down here as service berries or June berries

Old 10-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #27
Cook

Hi Goodweed of the North. Yes, that is what I am talking about. You mentioned raspberries. I have more raspberries frozen than I can ever think of ways to use them. We have two rows of them in the back and every year people come and pick and I freeze what I can't use fresh. I make raspberry syrup, raspberry coffee cake. Have even tried raspberry vinegar and raspberry liqueur. If you have any other ways to use them up, please let me know. I also use them in my smoothies.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #28
Everymom

Marlene, make raspberry jam. Its about the easiest thing in the world and you will get rave reviews.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #29
Head Chef

raspberry Merlot jam.... mmmm. I just use merlot as part of the juice portion.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #30
Cook

Well, jam isn't an option here as my husband doesn't really like it and I do not eat very much jam. But, thanks for the info.

Tags
None