Saskatoon pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marlene2

Cook
Hi - I have some wild saskatoons and have never made a saskatoon pie before. Any recipes out there!!! I know I have to cook them on top of the stove for a few minutes as they have tough skins, but do not know how much liquid to add, etc. etc. Thanks

I guess my most important question would be -why do some recipes say to cover berries with water and simmer and some say just add 1/4 cup of water. I am referring to a recipe that calls for 4 - 5 cups of berries. I do not want the pie to be too dry.

It would depend on how much thickening (cornstarch, possibly) is used. More water will probably call for more thickening. Try one and see how it goes, using a recipe that calls for less water... I didn't really check any of those recipes, just thought it would be helpful.
I just checked several of them, and none of them called to cover the berries with water.

also called serviceberries or juneberries here in the states. My mom has made them.

I just want to make sure I don't get the filling too thick, as I guess it thickens as it cools. I will try the lesser amount of water, as I am going to let the filling cool before putting it in the crust so I can freeze the pie unbaked. If it cools, I should be able to determine if I need to add more liquid. Makes sense, right!!! lol

Marlene, I make saskatoon pies all the time but I don't make them that way. I put the bottom pastry in the pie plate, then I sprinkle about 1/4 cup flour on it. In another bowl I toss my saskatoons with sugar, flour and about 1/3 cup lemon juice. The saskatoons get coated with a thick slurry, sort of a paste. Then I dump the filling in the bottom shell, slap the top pastry crust on top, crimp the edges and bake til the juices bubble up out of the slits. Thats usually about 1 - 1.5 hours at 350. I suggest you put a cookie sheet under your pie tin.

Alix - Everyone said that saskatoons have such a tough skin that they need to be precooked before being put in the pie crust. Obviously, you don't have that kind of problem. Woe is me - what to do!!!! I guess I will just have to try it out and hope my company likes it.

Marlene, I am FROM Saskatoon and grew up on saskatoon berry pies, jams, you name it. My Mom made the pies pretty well identical to Alix's method and they turned out great. I have made a few myself the same way.

Actually, Saskatoon berries aren't common to Northern Saskatchewan but we still had them often.

Alix - Everyone said that saskatoons have such a tough skin that they need to be precooked before being put in the pie crust. Obviously, you don't have that kind of problem. Woe is me - what to do!!!! I guess I will just have to try it out and hope my company likes it.

I guess that depends on what you expect. I make my blueberry pies the same way but they don't need as long a cook time. If you wait til you see juice bubbling up thru the slits then the skins on the berries will have softened and split to allow the juice out. You will still have lots of fairly intact berries, but we like that in our pie. If you want the gooshy type of insides then definitely cook them in a pot and mash them a bit. Good luck. And LUCKY you! All our saskatoons have been done for a long time.

I used Alix's method when I picked juneberries in Minnesota. Worked great!! I also made juneberry jam, mostly because I like to say "juneberry jam." I think it sounds like a great children's book title. :)

Never mind, I will go back to my corner and amuse myself quietly.

Thank you very much for all of your replies. I want to make the pie tomorrow and freeze it unbaked so that I won't be too rushed the day my company comes. I make very good pies, but saskatoon isn't one of them.:ermm:

Well, you would think I was a new bride learning how to cook. I got my pies done and put slits in the top (I guess that was wrong) and froze them unbaked. I have always made my pies the morning of the supper, but this time decided to make them early and freeze them. I see now on several websites that I should not have put slits in them until ready to bake. Did I screw it up!!!!

Back
Top Bottom