"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Save the Pumpkin Recipes

October was a big month for pumpkin recipes. With soup, pie and dessert recipes still dominating social media, magazine covers and even the supermarkets, it's hard not to get overloaded and think 'oh no, not another one!'

But, I am a fan and for a reason...

Did you know that due to pumpkin carving becoming more popular, there is around 18,000 tons of edible squash thrown away each year?

According to Hubbub who are leading the #PumpkinRescue campaign, that's 15 million pumpkins that are binned every Halloween - that's enough to make a bowl of pumpkin soup for everyone in Britain.

It would be great for everyone to submit their recipes and show how they are making their contribution to the campaign by eating pumpkin.

I will start the Chain....

Old 11-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Here is my recipe: Albanian Pumpkin Pie.

This Albanian Pumpkin Pie can be made in different ways, with different ingredients, methods and also has a variety of names.

To make it extra special you can use any type of pumpkin for this recipe but the best to use are Butternut Squashes and full grown Pumpkins.

Albanian Pumpkin Pie | Pite me Kungull | Byrek me Kungull

Old 11-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Albanian Pumpkin Pie

This Albanian Pumpkin Pie can be made in different ways, with different ingredients, methods and also has a variety of names.

What make this pumpkin recipe a little bit special is that you can use any type of pumpkin, the best to use are Butternut Squashes and full grown Pumpkins.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
Head Chef

Are pumpkins, as in Halloween style, a popular food item in Albanian cooking?

What is your favourite recipe with pumpkin? I bought two pumpkins for the grandkids to carve but two other smaller "sugar" pumpkins to cook with.

Plus, keep in mind, depending on how long the carved pumpkin has been sitting out with a light in it, mold and rot has usually set in. Not very appetizing to think about trying to cook it.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

For some reason my recipe didn't post...!

They don't have full pumpkins but they do have squash and a lot of them! Pumpkin pie is very popular - a courgette is actually part of the pumpkin family so they use either courgette or squash for recipe and they both taste amazing!

The Albanian recipe works really well with the guts of a full pumpkin though so its a really adaptable one.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Oh, the idea of saving the pumpkins is the part you scoop out, instead of throwing it away bake with it - the shell (skin) will always be thrown away.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 11-04-2016, 05:19 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlbanianFood View Post
Oh, the idea of saving the pumpkins is the part you scoop out, instead of throwing it away bake with it - the shell (skin) will always be thrown away.

You only scoop out the seeds. You leave the flesh intact.

Otherwise it wouldn't remain sturdy and intact after you carve it (would also be impossible to carve)

So the flesh being thrown out isn't edible. It's been sitting around, unrefigerated with a candle and goodness knows what else in it.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

We've always scooped out the seeds and pumpkin leaving a inch think skin to carve into.

That's also what most carving websites recommend too.

Thats was hubbub are all about - see hubbub.org.uk.

There is enough scooped out to make recipes with but people throw it away so its all about encouraging people to cook with it.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I like it cut into cubes, dredged in flour and deep fried...
Old 11-04-2016, 05:43 PM   #10
Head Chef

We always save the seeds... the BEST!!!

washed, seasoned and toasted/roasted and yum!

Tags
other, pumpkin, recipe, recipes, albanian, albania, pies

Save the Pumpkin Recipes October was a big month for pumpkin recipes. With soup, pie and dessert recipes still dominating social media, magazine covers and even the supermarkets, it's hard not to get overloaded and think 'oh no, not another one!' But, I am a fan and for a reason... [B]Did you know that due to pumpkin carving becoming more popular, there is around 18,000 tons of edible squash thrown away each year?[/B] According to Hubbub who are leading the #PumpkinRescue campaign, that's 15 million pumpkins that are binned every Halloween - that's enough to make a bowl of pumpkin soup for everyone in Britain. It would be great for everyone to submit their recipes and show how they are making their contribution to the campaign by eating pumpkin. I will start the Chain.... 3 stars 1 reviews