"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #171
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
Well, I have all that leftover ham and Mac n cheese is always good. Individual MNC with Ham to take to work is the next step. :)
Mac and cheese with the leftover ham is my favorite way to use it up!

Old 11-30-2012, 04:33 AM   #172
Chef Extraordinaire

I too love putting ham in macaroni and cheese, it adds so much flavour

Old 02-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #173
Assistant Cook

They look so yummy gonna try for sure! Did you use parchment paper on bottom and tops too on these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
How's this for being on it like a Hobo on a Ham Sammich?

Made a few of these using left over Grilled Italian Sausages. Long B-Day weekend. Too much food. Nice to get back to normality again. My house has been a rockin' ;) Our youngest turned 18. WOOT! That's my guy! We really did it up for him. He still doesn't get my car.

Roasted Roma Tomatoes, Onions, fresh Garlic and a little bit of olive oil. Oregano, Basil,Kosher Salt, fresh ground Black Pepper. Mozzarella cheese.
Sliced white bread.

Using the top cutter cut out the bottom and top.
slice up the Italian Sausage into thin slices.

Add the bottom crust to the pie maker, use the pusher to get that bad boy snuggled in good!
Add a few pinches of Mozzarella Cheese, Italian Sausage, top it off with the Roasted Tomatoes. Add a little more cheese.
Top it with the top piece of bread.

Bake them about 10-15 minutes until they are to you liking in color. These were baked for 12 minutes.

LUNCH TIME! Eat up!!

Munky.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #174
Chef Extraordinaire

Only on the top to keep the edges from burning. When they are about 3/4 done, remove the paper so the edges can brown as well as the top crust. PF is the one who came up with the parch. paper. Bless her big heart!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #175
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos4Boys View Post
They look so yummy gonna try for sure! Did you use parchment paper on bottom and tops too on these?
They were yummy. Thank you.

I didn't use any parchment paper to make these.
Some things just don't need it.

Munky.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #176
Assistant Cook

OK on these Savory Italian Sausage Pies, another quick ?, may be a silly ? too. For the Roasted Roma Tomatoes did you roast them before hand or just sliced and they get roasted in the pie maker with other ingredients?
Old 02-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #177
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
OK on these Savory Italian Sausage Pies, another quick ?, may be a silly ? too. For the Roasted Roma Tomatoes did you roast them before hand or just sliced and they get roasted in the pie maker with other ingredients?
Sliced and roasted before, with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. It helps get most of the water out of them before using in the pies, also concentrates the flavors,
Old 02-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #178
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Sliced and roasted before, with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. It helps get most of the water out of them before using in the pies, also concentrates the flavors,
THANK YOU for such a quick response. I will be making these later today. The guys say they sound yummy hope mine turn out yummy lol
Old 02-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #179
Honey Badger

Quote:
It's not a silly question. Some of us roast tomatoes in various ways.

Mine for that recipe were roasted in the oven. Fold the tomatoes, onions and spiced together in a bowl drizzle just enough olive oil over the top to coat.
Baked @350 until the onions were tender.

If you want another short cut, it's actually worked out to be easy and quicker. ( I have no patience at times) No more burnt lips from biting into a hot slice of sausage. Found that trick out the hard way.You could also after roasting the tomatoes chop them up before adding it to your sammich. The boys might like it better that way.

Cook the Italian Sausages in a small saucepan with a dash of olive oil to keep it from sticking. Cook it until it crumbles. Set it aside until your ready to use it.

You know I think this recipe will be my dinner tonight. Thanks for the reminder.

Munky.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #180
Master Chef

Okay, I have some mashed potatoes and meatloaf left over. Thinking of doing something with them in the pie maker. Has anyone ever done a crust with mashed taters? I'm thinking of adding egg and flour like I would for potato pancakes and instead of frying them, use them in the pie maker with some meatloaf in the center and maybe some cheese on top of the meat. If anyone has done something like that, let me know of any problems you had with it.

Tags
recipe, tips, pastry, pies, savory

Savory Mini Pies - Tips, Ideas and Recipes Today was the first chance I've had to try this beauty out. I made 2 separate crusts. Butter puff for the top. And a regular pie crust for the bottoms. They took about 15 minutes to cook. Made a Chicken pot pie, and a Chile pot pie's loaded up with cheese. The portion was a bit much for me. Couldn't finish one. Between the filling and crusts, they were rich tasting, a great combination of doughs. Very filling. The pie maker was a breeze to use. Simple clean up. Cooked evenly. The only thing I wish It had come with is something non abrasive to lift the cooked pies out with. When they were finished cooking they were heavy. These are not the light banquet frozen pies. When pressing the dough shell into it. I found that dipping the cutters into flour helped it from sticking to the dough. Other then those minor things. It's a great versatile product. Munky. [IMG]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/waxmunky/DSC_0421-1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/waxmunky/DSC_0422-1.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews