"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 06-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #181
Executive Chef

I have not tried this, but would love to hear how they turn out. What a great idea!

Wow, it is hot out now, and a good time to use the mini pie maker. Thanks for the reminder. May have to think of something I can make.......

Old 06-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #182
Chef Extraordinaire

I just went out into the kitchen to start my mini apple pies. Much to my dismay, I have everything except the parchment paper. Can I use rounds of wax paper instead? Has anyone done it that way? HELP! I really l want to do them today.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #183
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I just went out into the kitchen to start my mini apple pies. Much to my dismay, I have everything except the parchment paper. Can I use rounds of wax paper instead? Has anyone done it that way? HELP! I really l want to do them today.
I haven't used waxed paper Addie. I'm not sure if it would work or not, I have however made the pies without any paper, and they just start getting brown on top, so lift the top and let them cook longer with the lid open to brown the bottoms. It doesn't work as well as parchment paper and leaving it closed, but it does work.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #184
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I haven't used waxed paper Addie. I'm not sure if it would work or not, I have however made the pies without any paper, and they just start getting brown on top, so lift the top and let them cook longer with the lid open to brown the bottoms. It doesn't work as well as parchment paper and leaving it closed, but it does work.

Thanks chopper. I will follow your suggestion. But I think I will try just one pie with the wax paper. My only concern in that it will melt into the top crust. If it does, lesson learned and parchment paper goes on the grocery list. I am also going to look at Amazon to order the individual sheets of it.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #185
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Okay, I have some mashed potatoes and meatloaf left over. Thinking of doing something with them in the pie maker. Has anyone ever done a crust with mashed taters? I'm thinking of adding egg and flour like I would for potato pancakes and instead of frying them, use them in the pie maker with some meatloaf in the center and maybe some cheese on top of the meat. If anyone has done something like that, let me know of any problems you had with it.

Yeah Jabbur,

I'm the guilty one that's tried it. Can't find the recipe here in this section. It might be in the original thread. Shepard's pie.

I'd place the sliced meatloaf on the bottom. Put your cheese on top of that. Warm and whip up your mashed potatoes. Spread them on top with a rubber spatula. Brush the top with beaten egg whites. Have some gravy close by?

@Addie

Try a piece of aluminum foil on one pie see if that will work for you.

It will probably shorten the cooking time down. Keep an eye on it.

May the pies be with ya's.

Munky.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #186
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you Munky. Will give it a try.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #187
Honey Badger

Sausage Mc Muffins W/O The Muffin

Hope it works out for you Addie.
Breville's has only suggested that you not use aluminum foil because it could scratch the interior of the pie maker. For what your doing. I don't see a problem using it in a pinch.

I've got to get out of this cult! You guys are all trouble makers.
Mine has been put away while I'm working on household projects. Almost done. Prepping walls for paint is a ....! You can fill in that blank.

Today I dragged it out. Ok, it leaped at me " Where ya been!?." It's cord was wagging. Made my belly jump.

Had to make The Boss's breakfast so with keeping with his diet made Sausage,cheese, egg patties.

These were so simple to make. Takes 15 min if that to cook. Times will differ depending on how you prefer your eggs cooked. This recipe will make 8.

1Lb Breakfast sausage your choice. Mild or hot
Shredded cheddar cheese
Eggs-8
S&P
Sliced Jalapeno's

Saran wrap for easy clean up. Keeps the sausage from sticking to the cutting board.

Make from the sausage 8 equally sized balls. Flatten them out with a hamburger press as much as you can.

Place them in the preheated pie maker. Close the lid. It should take about 6 minutes to cook the patties. Check for doneness before you go on.

When fully cooked add a few pinches of cheese. Close the lid.Check after 2 min. As the cheese starts to melt, crack an egg on top of each one. Sprinkle with s&p. Close the lid. Give it 2 more. The add a few sliced jalapeno's on top if you want. Cook until the eggs are just the way you like them.

Munky.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #188
Executive Chef

Munky, you have done it now! I will have to drag mine out for sure now. Yum! I bet Hubby would like that this weekend along with an English muffin for breakfast. Thanks! Yum!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #189
Chef Extraordinaire

Good news! I was talking to one of the tenants and mentioned my parch. ppr dilemma. It seems she bought a box of it in error thinking it was wax paper. Has no use for it. (she is not a baker) She gave me the whole unopened box.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #190
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yay! What luck, Addie!

Tags
recipe, tips, pastry, pies, savory

Savory Mini Pies - Tips, Ideas and Recipes Today was the first chance I've had to try this beauty out. I made 2 separate crusts. Butter puff for the top. And a regular pie crust for the bottoms. They took about 15 minutes to cook. Made a Chicken pot pie, and a Chile pot pie's loaded up with cheese. The portion was a bit much for me. Couldn't finish one. Between the filling and crusts, they were rich tasting, a great combination of doughs. Very filling. The pie maker was a breeze to use. Simple clean up. Cooked evenly. The only thing I wish It had come with is something non abrasive to lift the cooked pies out with. When they were finished cooking they were heavy. These are not the light banquet frozen pies. When pressing the dough shell into it. I found that dipping the cutters into flour helped it from sticking to the dough. Other then those minor things. It's a great versatile product. Munky. [IMG]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/waxmunky/DSC_0421-1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/waxmunky/DSC_0422-1.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews