"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 06-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #201
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm thinking more of using celery seed, for the flavor. You still want it to be a single pie for a meal with out a lot of messing with to eat it.
I bought crushed celery seed. Easier on the teeth. No need for toothpicks. And the flavor is there. And the aroma. I got it from "Great American Spice Company".

Old 06-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #202
Master Chef

I can't imagine adding celery to the pie itself. When I eat Buffalo wings, the celery is more like a palate cleanser to sooth from the heat of the wings and needs to be cool and crisp. If it gets added to the pie it will be warm and softer. I'd be tempted to just go with the chicken in the pie and celery on the side (or stuck in the top through the crust just before serving).

Old 06-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #203
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I can't imagine adding celery to the pie itself. ...

I agree 100%. When I bite into a buffalo wing, I'm not thinking about celery. A a matter of fact, I don't even like it. If you must have celery, put it on the plate so you can say veggies were part of your balanced meal.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #204
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I agree 100%. When I bite into a buffalo wing, I'm not thinking about celery. A a matter of fact, I don't even like it. If you must have celery, put it on the plate so you can say veggies were part of your balanced meal.
PF is making basically a chicken pot pie with hotly seasoned buffalo chicken meat. Every chicken pot pie I have ever ate, had celery in it, or at least celery flavoring. Think chicken soup thickened.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #205
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
PF is making basically a chicken pot pie with hotly seasoned buffalo chicken meat. Every chicken pot pie I have ever ate, had celery in it, or at least celery flavoring. Think chicken soup thickened.

Understood. I don't like celery so leave it out of a lot of things. I don't put celery in my pot pies. I dislike cooked celery even more than raw celery. I use it as part of mire poix and trinity in dishes as you don't taste the celery specifically but it enhances the overall flavor of the dish.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #206
Sous Chef

I can't say that I've done that in the pie maker, but I have done something similar ... lining the baking dishes with mashed taters and filling the lining, sort of like an inside out shepherd's pie, with hamburger and veggies. I've run meat loaf in my food processor, chopping it up and used it for shepherd's pie or in spaghetti sauce. My family always likes it. I would try your idea and then brag about the success of creating a new recipe.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #207
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

I think I'd make this with a blue cheese mornay sauce. Toss in some veggies and you're done!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #208
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Understood. I don't like celery so leave it out of a lot of things. I don't put celery in my pot pies. I dislike cooked celery even more than raw celery. I use it as part of mire poix and trinity in dishes as you don't taste the celery specifically but it enhances the overall flavor of the dish.
I don't like cooked celery either. So I use the ground celery seeds. You get the flavor without the whole product.

Now my middle son The Pirate loves cooked celery (yuk) and when I know he will be here to eat, I cut the celery into large pieces so I can pick them out for him. Mostly each rib in half. I don't want to take any chance and leave one behind.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #209
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Dice up the chicken, sauté in butter, toss with Frank's Hot Sauce. Regular pie crust for the bottom, the cooked chicken, sprinkle on some blue cheese crumbles, just a little, puff pastry for the top. Cover with parchment paper, bake till bottom is browned.

Make a thick blue cheese dressing with the rest of the crumbles, some mayonnaise, 1/4 tsp celery seed, fresh ground black pepper and minced onion. Serve as a "dipping" sauce with the pie or serve a nice green salad with the dressing and pie.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #210
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Dice up the chicken, sauté in butter, toss with Frank's Hot Sauce. Regular pie crust for the bottom, the cooked chicken, sprinkle on some blue cheese crumbles, just a little, puff pastry for the top. Cover with parchment paper, bake till bottom is browned.

Make a thick blue cheese dressing with the rest of the crumbles, some mayonnaise, 1/4 tsp celery seed, fresh ground black pepper and minced onion. Serve as a "dipping" sauce with the pie or serve a nice green salad with the dressing and pie.
Oooh. Great idea, PF, this would work for a pizza too!

Tags
recipe, tips, pastry, pies, savory

Savory Mini Pies - Tips, Ideas and Recipes Today was the first chance I've had to try this beauty out. I made 2 separate crusts. Butter puff for the top. And a regular pie crust for the bottoms. They took about 15 minutes to cook. Made a Chicken pot pie, and a Chile pot pie's loaded up with cheese. The portion was a bit much for me. Couldn't finish one. Between the filling and crusts, they were rich tasting, a great combination of doughs. Very filling. The pie maker was a breeze to use. Simple clean up. Cooked evenly. The only thing I wish It had come with is something non abrasive to lift the cooked pies out with. When they were finished cooking they were heavy. These are not the light banquet frozen pies. When pressing the dough shell into it. I found that dipping the cutters into flour helped it from sticking to the dough. Other then those minor things. It's a great versatile product. Munky. [IMG]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/waxmunky/DSC_0421-1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/waxmunky/DSC_0422-1.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews