Savory Mini Pies - Tips, Ideas and Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm thinking more of using celery seed, for the flavor. You still want it to be a single pie for a meal with out a lot of messing with to eat it.

I bought crushed celery seed. Easier on the teeth. No need for toothpicks. And the flavor is there. And the aroma. I got it from "Great American Spice Company".:angel:

Last edited:
I can't imagine adding celery to the pie itself. When I eat Buffalo wings, the celery is more like a palate cleanser to sooth from the heat of the wings and needs to be cool and crisp. If it gets added to the pie it will be warm and softer. I'd be tempted to just go with the chicken in the pie and celery on the side (or stuck in the top through the crust just before serving).

I can't imagine adding celery to the pie itself. ...

I agree 100%. When I bite into a buffalo wing, I'm not thinking about celery. A a matter of fact, I don't even like it. If you must have celery, put it on the plate so you can say veggies were part of your balanced meal.

I agree 100%. When I bite into a buffalo wing, I'm not thinking about celery. A a matter of fact, I don't even like it. If you must have celery, put it on the plate so you can say veggies were part of your balanced meal.

PF is making basically a chicken pot pie with hotly seasoned buffalo chicken meat. Every chicken pot pie I have ever ate, had celery in it, or at least celery flavoring. Think chicken soup thickened. :angel:

PF is making basically a chicken pot pie with hotly seasoned buffalo chicken meat. Every chicken pot pie I have ever ate, had celery in it, or at least celery flavoring. Think chicken soup thickened. :angel:

Understood. I don't like celery so leave it out of a lot of things. I don't put celery in my pot pies. I dislike cooked celery even more than raw celery. I use it as part of mire poix and trinity in dishes as you don't taste the celery specifically but it enhances the overall flavor of the dish.

I can't say that I've done that in the pie maker, but I have done something similar ... lining the baking dishes with mashed taters and filling the lining, sort of like an inside out shepherd's pie, with hamburger and veggies. I've run meat loaf in my food processor, chopping it up and used it for shepherd's pie or in spaghetti sauce. My family always likes it. I would try your idea and then brag about the success of creating a new recipe.

I think I'd make this with a blue cheese mornay sauce. Toss in some veggies and you're done!

Understood. I don't like celery so leave it out of a lot of things. I don't put celery in my pot pies. I dislike cooked celery even more than raw celery. I use it as part of mire poix and trinity in dishes as you don't taste the celery specifically but it enhances the overall flavor of the dish.

I don't like cooked celery either. So I use the ground celery seeds. You get the flavor without the whole product.

Now my middle son The Pirate loves cooked celery (yuk) and when I know he will be here to eat, I cut the celery into large pieces so I can pick them out for him. Mostly each rib in half. I don't want to take any chance and leave one behind. :angel:

Dice up the chicken, sauté in butter, toss with Frank's Hot Sauce. Regular pie crust for the bottom, the cooked chicken, sprinkle on some blue cheese crumbles, just a little, puff pastry for the top. Cover with parchment paper, bake till bottom is browned.

Make a thick blue cheese dressing with the rest of the crumbles, some mayonnaise, 1/4 tsp celery seed, fresh ground black pepper and minced onion. Serve as a "dipping" sauce with the pie or serve a nice green salad with the dressing and pie.

Dice up the chicken, sauté in butter, toss with Frank's Hot Sauce. Regular pie crust for the bottom, the cooked chicken, sprinkle on some blue cheese crumbles, just a little, puff pastry for the top. Cover with parchment paper, bake till bottom is browned.

Make a thick blue cheese dressing with the rest of the crumbles, some mayonnaise, 1/4 tsp celery seed, fresh ground black pepper and minced onion. Serve as a "dipping" sauce with the pie or serve a nice green salad with the dressing and pie.

Oooh. Great idea, PF, this would work for a pizza too!

Glad I had the sense enough at the time to post some of my recipes here.
Wanted to use my pie maker today and couldn't find my chocolate pie recipe.

Anyone know if any recipe using pork is in here? Specifically pulled.
Search feature here never works for me.

Thank you

Munky.

Glad I had the sense enough at the time to post some of my recipes here.
Wanted to use my pie maker today and couldn't find my chocolate pie recipe.

Anyone know if any recipe using pork is in here? Specifically pulled.
Search feature here never works for me.

Thank you

Munky.

I don't remember seeing a pulled pork recipe for the pie maker. What flavor profile would you be going for? Mexican, BBQ?

I don't remember seeing a pulled pork recipe for the pie maker. What flavor profile would you be going for? Mexican, BBQ?

We've already had bbq & tamale's this week. Not sure what I want to do with the left over pulled pork that I have to make tomorrow. I just know I want a pie! :ohmy:
I thought someone had posted a recipe for pulled pork. Been looking back, laughing half the time. Wow time flies around here.

Could you add teriyaki to it? Do a pulled pork with stirfry veg pie. Or just the pulled pork in a pie and served hot with cole slaw.

Could you add teriyaki to it? Do a pulled pork with stirfry veg pie. Or just the pulled pork in a pie and served hot with cole slaw.

Teriyaki's a great idea! Already have the wrappers ready. I see nothing wrong with super sizing an eggroll.. Do you? People always have at least 2 of them anyways. Were just cutting out the chase. Right? Justifiable 2nds. :LOL:

Thankies :)

Teriyaki's a great idea! Already have the wrappers ready. I see nothing wrong with super sizing an eggroll.. Do you? People always have at least 2 of them anyways. Were just cutting out the chase. Right? Justifiable 2nds. :LOL:

Thankies :)

Glad I could help!!!:)

Back
Top Bottom