"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #81
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
a phone call would be quicker...
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,305
Don't shoot me, but I am not in love with this toy. It takes a lot longer to make the tarts than if I used the oven and made a full-sized one. I can understand how nifty it would be for using up leftovers or making little pies for a party or a couple of people, but it takes a lot more time than making your basic 9-inch pie, however, at this time of year, it also means no turning on the oven. I also was not impressed by the quality of the crust. I used my basic recipe that is always quite flaky and very good. It didn't turn crisp (and the top of the tarts got dark if I left them in the pie maker hoping the crust would get brown). My vote--a 3 out of 5.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #83
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Tarts are a tough one to start with and try to see how the piemaker works. There is a learning curve, not all of my pies come out fantastic, either. Just figuring out the pastry we like the best was a chore and there were flops.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,305
It's the time it takes. I can make a full-sized pie in a lot less time. I made 8 tarts and rolled the rest for a 9-inch pie pan. I'd be making tarts all night if I did this using the piemaker. I can see it would be good for portion control or to use up bits of pastry, leftovers, but too much bother for me. I guess I'm not a big enough pie fan to fall in love with it.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #85
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Pies with already cooked fillings go much faster. Especially if you start with them at room temperature.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #86
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
It's the time it takes. I can make a full-sized pie in a lot less time. I made 8 tarts and rolled the rest for a 9-inch pie pan. I'd be making tarts all night if I did this using the piemaker. I can see it would be good for portion control or to use up bits of pastry, leftovers, but too much bother for me. I guess I'm not a big enough pie fan to fall in love with it.
As a lover of all kitchen gadgets, I have to say the pie maker is one of my favorites. One of my favorite things is that you can make little pies out of leftovers and they are great to take for lunches. It does take some getting used to. Try experimenting with egg roll wrappers or puff pastry for different things. Or even try the buttered bread idea. The Philly cheese steak pies were one of the favorites at this house, and I just used things I had in the house when thinking of the idea. Tortillas work too. If you have someone else with you it's more fun too! Don't forget to try the sweet pies. Blueberry and Lemon are two of my favorites.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
As a lover of all kitchen gadgets, I have to say the pie maker is one of my favorites. One of my favorite things is that you can make little pies out of leftovers and they are great to take for lunches. It does take some getting used to. Try experimenting with egg roll wrappers or puff pastry for different things. Or even try the buttered bread idea. The Philly cheese steak pies were one of the favorites at this house, and I just used things I had in the house when thinking of the idea. Tortillas work too. If you have someone else with you it's more fun too! Don't forget to try the sweet pies. Blueberry and Lemon are two of my favorites.
I do a lot of things that use gadgets--I make all kinds of things that are done one at a time (tortillas, lefse, krumkake, rosettes, perogies) and have gadgets up the ying-yang. This gadget is one that I will use very often. I probably should have thought it through. I'd rather use my tart pans and make mini-pies in the oven. Or, a full-sized pie. I don't eat sweet pie very often--about 2 or 3 slices/year, so I don't make tarts or pies very often. Peach Cream Pie or Wild Blueberry.

Besides the time it took to roll out the crust, cut them, put them in the maker, fill them, bake them (7 minutes) and then repeat with the next batch, well, I figured I could roll out the rest of the crust, fill it, pop it in the oven and be done. The other issue was I was not impressed by the quality of the crust. I'm very fussy about my crusts. And, I make darned near perfect crusts every time. So, since I wasn't impressed, I thought I'd check to see if it was the pastry dough or the method used to cook it. I used the rest of the pastry dough and filling to make a 9" tart in the oven. The crust was perfect so it wasn't my crust that was the problem, it was the method used to cook it. Morale of the story, if you are fussy about your crust, you may be less than impressed by the quality of the bottom crust. I was also not impressed that the two closest to the back hinge got much darker than the ones in the front--so they did not bake evenly in the pie maker.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #88
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Okay, I've ordered a pie maker! It should be here next week. Sounds like it will be fun to try!
GOTCHA!
Welcome aboard.

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #89
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Don't shoot me, but I am not in love with this toy. It takes a lot longer to make the tarts than if I used the oven and made a full-sized one. I can understand how nifty it would be for using up leftovers or making little pies for a party or a couple of people, but it takes a lot more time than making your basic 9-inch pie, however, at this time of year, it also means no turning on the oven. I also was not impressed by the quality of the crust. I used my basic recipe that is always quite flaky and very good. It didn't turn crisp (and the top of the tarts got dark if I left them in the pie maker hoping the crust would get brown). My vote--a 3 out of 5.
I won't shoot ya. The first batches are tough. Your learning with a new product. So the crusts weren't to your own satisfaction. It's ok, try something else. You don't have to use it for pies. Some of the recipes I've posted had nothing to do with pie. You would have to sift through the original thread to find them, not all the recipes people have posted are here yet.

Your a good sport. My biggest complaint about it is I now have to not say a word that the pies are ready. My guys turn into Wild AMINALS!
They've had a few scrapes in the kitchen because the other ate the last pie. That was MY PIE!

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #90
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Funny CWS, I wonder why the ones in the back cooked at a different rate than the ones in the front. I haven't had that problem. I guess my biggest problem is getting them done fast enough so I actually get one.
__________________

__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe, tips, pastry, pies, savory

Savory Mini Pies - Tips, Ideas and Recipes Today was the first chance I've had to try this beauty out. I made 2 separate crusts. Butter puff for the top. And a regular pie crust for the bottoms. They took about 15 minutes to cook. Made a Chicken pot pie, and a Chile pot pie's loaded up with cheese. The portion was a bit much for me. Couldn't finish one. Between the filling and crusts, they were rich tasting, a great combination of doughs. Very filling. The pie maker was a breeze to use. Simple clean up. Cooked evenly. The only thing I wish It had come with is something non abrasive to lift the cooked pies out with. When they were finished cooking they were heavy. These are not the light banquet frozen pies. When pressing the dough shell into it. I found that dipping the cutters into flour helped it from sticking to the dough. Other then those minor things. It's a great versatile product. Munky. [IMG]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/waxmunky/DSC_0421-1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/waxmunky/DSC_0422-1.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.