"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,291
Scone Additions

I'm interested in some off the wall additions. I just saw a recipe for Bacon and Date scones that sound wonderful.

Are there more ideas out there?
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,934
When I was apprenticing at the catering company I often got scone duty. We didn't have any raisins or cranberries but we did have some fruit that needed to be used so I made a mango strawberry kiwi scone with chopped walnuts. Everyone loved them so much they went on the menu!

Ham and old cheddar are a classic. I also tried cooking small chunks of apple with butter and brown sugar just until sligthly soft and caramelized. I added some cinnamon to the scone batter. I wonder what chunks of barely ripe banana would be like?

I actually have to make some scones this week for Dad, but must stick to good old raisin. I love experimenting with them.

Hope that gives you a few inspirations!
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
When I was apprenticing at the catering company I often got scone duty. We didn't have any raisins or cranberries but we did have some fruit that needed to be used so I made a mango strawberry kiwi scone with chopped walnuts. Everyone loved them so much they went on the menu!

Ham and old cheddar are a classic. I also tried cooking small chunks of apple with butter and brown sugar just until sligthly soft and caramelized. I added some cinnamon to the scone batter. I wonder what chunks of barely ripe banana would be like?

I actually have to make some scones this week for Dad, but must stick to good old raisin. I love experimenting with them.

Hope that gives you a few inspirations!
Scribbling madly...thanks LP!

Just what I need, I get tired of blueberry scones all the time.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,934
No problem! Hope they work for you. I would love to hear what you think of any you try.

There is some great stuff on The History of Scones. The site isn't set up very well (no links, you have to scroll down plain black text to find the recipes in the list) but I am sure it will inspire you! While I haven't actually made any of their recipes, I have gotten some ideas for sure.

Having a British/Irish background on my Mom's side and British/American/French on my Dad's, I have kind of grown up on Scones!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,291
Ah! Thanks again! Good site!

Mmmmm...candy cap mushroom scones...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
When it was cold the Scot's did not perform coronations.
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
When it was cold the Scot's did not perform coronations.
So did they sit around and eat scones to warm up?
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:48 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
So did they sit around and eat scones to warm up?
No LPB that is what the sporran is for, it counteracts frontal cold when wearing a kilt commando style, I'm sure you understand the ramifications of sitting on a freezing stone without a spider to distact you or as Burns put it.
Fair Fa' your honest Sonsie Face
Great Chieftain O' the sitting place
Aboon them a'ye take your place
Fa' t' stone wi chill your
Painch, tripe, or thairm
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:10 AM   #9
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Studio City, Calif.
Posts: 2,459
Currently, my favorites to make are bacon, cheddar and chive scones. And they freeze well also.
__________________
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:13 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
No LPB that is what the sporran is for, it counteracts frontal cold when wearing a kilt commando style, I'm sure you understand the ramifications of sitting on a freezing stone without a spider to distact you or as Burns put it....
Burns also said about winter:

Cauld blaws the wind frae east to west,
The drift is driving sairly;
Sae loud and shill's I hear the blast-
I'm sure it's winter fairly.

Chorus.-Up in the morning's no for me,
Up in the morning early;
When a' the hills are covered wi' snaw,
I'm sure it's winter fairly.

The birds sit chittering in the thorn,
A' day they fare but sparely;
And lang's the night frae e'en to morn-
I'm sure it's winter fairly.
__________________

__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.