Shoo Fly Pie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Okay, my s-i-l takes great delight in trying to stump me...I'm starting a search for the above mentioned pie. I so far have been able to best him in this little game, can't lose now guys HELP!!!! Need recipe for Shoo fly pie:LOL:

kadesma

mudbug said:
wow, kadesma, this is a classic southern pie. I don't have a recipe quick to hand, but try googling Southern Living for one.
Thanks Mudbug, I can't get caught not knowing this one, yikes...
kadesma:LOL:

This recipe is from The Wholesome Home Book:
Shoofly Pie mix 4 cups all purpose flour, 2 cups light brown sugar, 2 teaspoons baking soda.Mix all ingredients.

Additional ingredients and directions for 1 pie

1 cup molasses
1 cup hot water
6 Tablespoons each butter and margarine
Pie crust

Simmer molasses and water together for 1 minute and remove from heat. Measure 3 cups of the mix into a bowl, then cut 6 tablespoons of margarine and 4 tablespoons of the butter into mix until the mixture resembles coarse meal.

Line a pie plate with the crust and sprinkle about 1/3 of the basic mix butter crumbs over the bottom. Pour 1/2 cup of the molasses mixture over the crumbs. Repeat the procedure using about 1 cup crumbs and 1/2 cup liquid until all of the mix and liquid are used, ending with the crumbs. Dot with the remainder of the butter and bake in preheated oven 375 deg for 50 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I think I see why this pie isn't so popular now.

licia said:
This recipe is from The Wholesome Home Book:
Shoofly Pie mix 4 cups all purpose flour, 2 cups light brown sugar, 2 teaspoons baking soda.Mix all ingredients.

Additional ingredients and directions for 1 pie

1 cup molasses
1 cup hot water
6 Tablespoons each butter and margarine
Pie crust

Simmer molasses and water together for 1 minute and remove from heat. Measure 3 cups of the mix into a bowl, then cut 6 tablespoons of margarine and 4 tablespoons of the butter into mix until the mixture resembles coarse meal.

Line a pie plate with the crust and sprinkle about 1/3 of the basic mix butter crumbs over the bottom. Pour 1/2 cup of the molasses mixture over the crumbs. Repeat the procedure using about 1 cup crumbs and 1/2 cup liquid until all of the mix and liquid are used, ending with the crumbs. Dot with the remainder of the butter and bake in preheated oven 375 deg for 50 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I think I see why this pie isn't so popular now.
Me too, licia, but the boy is gonna get his pie and eat it too:ROFLMAO: This guy loves to see if he can stump me. He should know better, I've got all of you to help me:LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:
Thanks licia,
kadesma

Aurora said:
Here is a recipe that I've used before. I made it once but it was too sweet for my taste, although my daughter and grandson liked it.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1637,149174-240192,00.html
Thanks Aurora, I made a copy and I have licia's recipe, this should stop him in his tracks:LOL: He's a dear so this little gotcha game is fun. Thanks for the help.

kadesma:)

Alix said:
Think Raine posted a Shoofly pie on here too. Her recipes are pretty fine.
Thanks Alix, I'll go look, she does have great recipes.

licia said:
Kadesma, what recipe are you going to request to stump him?
licia, I usually get him by asking do you know what's in here of some of the dishes I make or I'll try to whiz a food by him he thinks he hates..He's Italian like my DH, but his mom never cooked Italian with 9 kids, so I think this week I'll try and see if he can name that pasta :LOL:
But, heck, you've given me a great idea, I can ask him about certain recipes too..DUH should have done this sooner.

kadesma

Last edited:
Things must be pretty lively when you all get together. My sil just eats and says how much he likes it. His mother died when he was 11 years old and he missed many family things that we take for granted. He is really great on the grill and can cook quite well himself, but appreciates what others cook also.

licia,
this place just jumps on sundays and often several days of the week. Between the kids, grandkids, games on tv, toys, 2 dogs you always have to watch where you step or sit.:LOL: During the summer there is a little more room as the kids love to play outside and swim..I've always remembered the few times we ate at my grandmothers house as a kid and decided that when it was my turn things would be lively and fun..Each of the kids picks a dish they want and we fix it and then build around that..I love every minute of it.:) The guys pitch in with grilling, the girls clean up so everyone does something and we just enjoy the day.

kadesma

I'm not much of a baker either Corrine, but my s-i-l loves to throw me a challenge and I love getting the answers:LOL: Thanks for replying. I'm sure one of these days we will trade a recipe or two.

I know you have already had so many replies but wanted to give my 2 cents. This recipe is from Marcia Adams "New Recipes from Quilt Country" I actually came across it in a novel called "American Pie" by Pascale Le Draoulec. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060957328/qid=1145677763/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/104-9816488-2227162?s=books&v=glance&n=283155 It's a novel written by the author who travels the US in search of homemade pies. There are many recipes she includes of pies made from scratch. It's a great read of how America has turned into a country of fast food but also how pie still has its place. Please let me know if you read this book! I'd love to discuss it with someone. The author says of this recipe "it's the best I've tasted so far." So here it is...
Shoofly Pie
Pastry for one crust 9-inch pie
Filling
1 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 rounded Tablespoon cold butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup light molasses
3/4 cup cold water
1/4 cup hot water
1 Tablespoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350F.
Roll out the pie pastry and line a 9-inch pie pan. Set aside.
In a food processor bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, butter and salt. Remove 1/2 cup of mixture and set aside. Transfer the rest to a medium mixing bowl.
In a small bowl, beat the egg lightly. Add the molasses and cold water, and blend but do not beat; you don't want bubbles in the batter. Set aside
In a small bowl, mix the hot water with the baking soda and blend into the molasses mixture. Add to the flour mixture and mix well. Pour into the pie shell and top with the reserved crumbs. Bake for 35 minutes. The pie will appear quivery but will firm up as it cools. Transfer to a rack to cool completely before cutting.

Cora,
Each reply has given me something new. Yours has led me to something to read. I'm going to look for the book soon, This recipe looks interesting and the more I read the more I think I'll just have to make up a couple and let the family dig in. Thanks for taking the time.I'm truly looking forward to reading the book.

Wasn't Marsha Adams the lady who had the program about cooking from the Amish Country? I remember her, but didn't remember her name. She certainly made some good stick-to-your-ribs type food. I know there were cookbooks, but I've never seen one of hers. I remember she always had a quilt at the end of her program and wore white gloves to present it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom