"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-14-2004, 09:49 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I just noticed I said stretching. Should have been shrinking, of course. Must have a a brain fart.

Old 11-14-2004, 11:47 PM   #12
Master Chef

When I have a recipe that calls for blind baking a crust I dock the bottom (poke a bunch of holes in the bottom using a fork), line it with either parchment paper or aluminum foil, and fill it with dry beans (that I reserve for that purpose).

The reason for docking and weighting the crust is to keep the bottom from getting bubbles/blisters and getting too flakey (too much seperation of the layers can promote sogginess since the crust isn't dense enough). Docking helps - but the addition of the "pie weights" is double insurance .... like Justin Wilson would say about wearing both a belt and suspenders - it's safety engineering.

Never use wax paper unless you want your crust to have a faint taste of crayons or candles. I don't use beans or rice (which also works well) without parchment or foil because I have noticed that sometimes the shell can taste like roasted beans or rice. But, that's just my experiences.

Old 11-15-2004, 08:15 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookinBlondie Send a message via MSN to CookinBlondie Send a message via Yahoo to CookinBlondie
Wow! You all are a great help! Thanks! So, of all the info given, when I am blind baking a pie crust................

1) Put in the fridge for a coulpe of hours
2) When putting into the pie pan, don't stretch and fold under the edges
3) Dock the bottom
4) Place beans/rice on a piece of foil in the bottom, bake, remove foil and beans/rice

Did I miss anything? Oh, and also, when I fold the crust over the edges of the pan, how do I remove that excess crust after baking, or will it be fine like it is? Thanks again for the help. You guys are the best!

*Note to self, make pies for psiguy, wayne, and another for sushi*

CookinBlondie*
Old 11-15-2004, 02:56 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Step 1 is a bit off. You should refrigerate the dough for an hour before you roll it out, then you need to refrigerate again AFTER you place the dough in the pie pan.

Gluten is what develops when you make bread. That's what makes the dough sticky. When you make pie crusts, you don't want the gluten. Gluten is what makes pie dough tough and when gluten (protein) heats up, it shrinks. The resting period minimizes the effect of gluten.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:27 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookinBlondie Send a message via MSN to CookinBlondie Send a message via Yahoo to CookinBlondie
Thanks, I'll make some more crust, see what happens, and report back.

CookinBlondie*

Tags
None