"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-14-2004, 03:17 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookinBlondie Send a message via MSN to CookinBlondie Send a message via Yahoo to CookinBlondie
Shrinking piecrust

Cookin blondie is working on a piecrust for a cream pie and we have heard that placing beans in the crust to bake it before putting the filling in will keep it from shrinking. Do the beans have to be in something and if so what?

Cookin Blondie's Mom

Old 11-14-2004, 04:40 PM   #2

No. The beans are loose. Just make sure you don't try to cook with the beans later. Save them in a marked container for your next blind baking.

Old 11-14-2004, 05:15 PM   #3
Sous Chef

If you don't want to pick out hundreds of beans, you can line the crust with parchment paper and put the beans in the paper. When done, just life the paper and beans out.

I never use beans. My crusts don't shrink. The key to it is two fold. First, you must not stretch the crust when placing into the crust, especially when forming the dough to the contours of the pan. Second, you need to let the dough rest in the refrigerator for an hour before baking. Not only does that eliminate the stretching, but it lets the gluten relax so you end up with a more tender crust.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:16 PM   #4
Senior Cook

shrinking pie crust

I've seen Paula Dean put beans on the pie crust. Just put the dried beans on the crust. Take them off the crust when you take the baked crust out of the oven.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiguyy
If you don't want to pick out hundreds of beans, you can line the crust with parchment paper and put the beans in the paper. When done, just life the paper and beans out.

I never use beans. My crusts don't shrink. The key to it is two fold. First, you must not stretch the crust when placing into the crust, especially when forming the dough to the contours of the pan. Second, you need to let the dough rest in the refrigerator for an hour before baking. Not only does that eliminate the stretching, but it lets the gluten relax so you end up with a more tender crust.
Very true. I think the reason why beans are used mainly is to keep the shell from bubbling up in the pan.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:47 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
See.... this is why I dont bake. All the flour and mixing... and THEN you have to wait for days.... hours until gluten has time to kick back and relax..... THEN you have to pound the stuff..... or roll it again.... or let it rise..... BUT..... you cant roll it TOO firm..... or it will be hard... or too soft... plus you use BEANS to make it not dry or shrink if you dont have the correct MIXTURE, didnt roll it right..... didnt use the right flour.... didnt let it relax properly and THEN the filling..... and THEN you have to let it bake for 3 days.... and when its done Im left with a 3" tart that I inhale within 2 minutes. :?
Sorry, I quit smoking... Im craby! Grrrrrrrrr.........
Old 11-14-2004, 07:43 PM   #7

Old 11-14-2004, 07:43 PM   #8

But "SUSHI" if you go through all those processes you won't have time to smoke. Think of the health benefits of baking, not smoking.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:51 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef

Very true. I think the reason why beans are used mainly is to keep the shell from bubbling up in the pan.

You are, of course, correct. The solution to the bubbling problem is to dock (poke holes with a fork or docking tool) the crust before baking.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:41 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiguyy

Bingo. Again, you win the prize, psiguyy! Ditto here.

Tags
None